Dr Jason Arday, BA Hons, PGCE, MA, MEd, PGCertTLHE, PGDip, PhD, fHEA
Deputy Executive Dean (People and Culture) in the Faculty of Social Science and Health
Department of Sociology
- Race and Education
- Race and Class
- Race and Social Justice
- Race and Intersectionality
- Cultural Studies
Indicators of Esteem
- Editorial Board Member for Sociology :
- Editorial Board, Educational Philosophy and Theory: Reviewer of Papers, Reviewer of Special Issue Proposals:
- Fellow of Royal Society of Arts (RSA):
- Lead Editor on Palgrave Race and Education Book Series:
- The Centre for Labour and Social Studies (CLASS) National Advisory Panel Member:
- Trustee of The British Sociological Association (BSA):
- Trustee of The Literacy Pirates :
- Trustee of the Runnymede Trust:
- UK Council for Graduate Education (UKCGE) Working Group on BME Participation in Postgraduate Research Member:
- Universities UK Advisory Board Member on Racial Harassment in Higher Education:
- Arday, Jason (Forthcoming). Being Young, Black and Male: Challenging the dominant discourse. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Arday, J. (2019). Considering Racialised Contexts in Education: Using reflective practice and peer-mentoring to support Black and Ethnic Minority educators. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Arday, J. (2019). Cool Britannia and Multi-Ethnic Britain: Uncorking the Champagne Supernova. Abingdon: Routledge.
Chapter in book
- Arday, Jason (Accepted). Decolonising higher learning education in the UK. In A World History of Sociology. Dufoix, S & Mosbah-Natanson, S France: Springer.
- Arday, Jason (Accepted). Walls Can Come Tumbling Down: Negotiating Normative Whiteness, Racial Micro-aggressions and Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) mental health within the Academy. In Routledge Handbook of Critical Race and Whiteness Studies. Andreassen, R, Lundstorm, C, Keskinen, L, Tate, S A. New York: Routledge.
- Arday, J (2020). All for One, One for All… If we all join hands we shall not fall. In Towards Decolonising the University: A Kaleidoscope for Empowered Action. Thomas, D & Jivraj, S Oxford: Counterpress.
- Arday, J (2020). Sowing the Seeds: Embracing a more racially inclusive Academy. In Thomas, D., & Arday, J. Doing Diversity for Success in Higher Education: Redressing Structure Inequalities in the Academy. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Arday, J (2020). Trying to Break the Monopoly: Diversifying Our Curricula within the Academy. In Tran, D. Decolonizing Teaching and Learning. London: Bloomsbury.
- Arday, J (2020). Understanding, addressing and centring BAME Leadership in Higher Education. In Doing Diversity for Success in Higher Education: Redressing Structure Inequalities in the Academy. Thomas, D & Arday, J Palgrave Macmillan.
- Arday, J. (2019). Equality and diversity in teacher education: Developing an understanding of race and ethnicity in the classroom. In Teaching About Social Justice Issues in Physical Education. Hill, J., Walton-Fisette, J. L. & Sutherland, S. USA: Information Age Publishing.
- Arday, J. (2019). Race and educational leadership: Where do we start? In Race, Leadership and Education in England: An Integrated Analysis. Miller, P. & Callender, C. London: Bloomsbury.
- Arday, J. (2019). Understanding mental health: What are the issues for Black, Asian and minority ethnic staff at University. In The Springer Encyclopedia of Teacher Education: A Living Reference. Peters, M. USA: Springer.
- Arday, J. (2018). Being black, male and academic: Navigating the White Academy. In Dismantling Race in Higher Education: Racism, Whiteness and Decolonising the Academy. Arday, J. & Mirza, H. S. London: Palgrave Macmillan. 161-174.
- Arday, J. (2018). Understanding racism within the academy: The persistence of racism within higher education. In The Fire Now: Anti-Racist Scholarship in Times of Explicit Racial Violence. Johnson, A., Joseph-Salisbury, R. & Kamunge, B. London: Zed Books. 26-37.
- Thomas, Dave & Arday, Jason (2021). Doing Equity and Diversity for Success in Higher Education: Redressing Structural Inequalities in the Academy. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Arday, J. & Mirza, H. S. (2018). Dismantling Race in Higher Education: Racism, Whiteness and Decolonising the Academy. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Maylor, Uvanney, Roberts, Lorna, Linton, Kenisha & Arday, Jason (2021). Education Management Administration and Leadership Special Issue: Race and Educational Leadership: Rethinking Research Methods for Understanding and Addressing Ethnic Disparities. (Special Issue Theme: Race, Leadership and Research Methods.): Sage Publications.
- Arday, J (2021). Educational Review Special Issue Theme: World in Motion. The Impact of Covid-19 on Global Higher Education (Special Issue Theme: Higher Education and Covid-19), Taylor and Francis Online.
- Arday, J & Boliver, V (2021). Special Issue Theme: Higher Education in the Eye of the COVID-19 Storm. Higher Education (Special Issue Theme: The Impact of COVID-19 on the Global Academy), Springer Publishing.
- Arday, Jason (2020). Special Issue Theme: Race Education and Social Mobility in Education. Educational Philosophy and Theory (Special Issue: Race and Social Mobility in Education), Taylor and Francis Online.
- Arday, J (Submitted). Living Hand to Mouth: Understanding the precarious experiences of Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) academic and professional staff in Higher Education. British Journal of Sociology of Education
- Stoll, N., Yalipende, Y., Arday, J., Smithies, D., Byrom, N., Lempp, N. & Hatch, S. (Submitted). Protocol for Black Student Wellbeing Study: A multi-site qualitative study on the mental health and wellbeing experiences of Black UK university students. BMJ Open
- Arday, Jason, Branchu, Charlotte & Boliver, Vikki (Submitted). What do we know about Black and minority ethnic (BME) participation in UK higher education. Social Policy and Society
- Arday, Jason (2021). No One Can See Me Cry: Understanding Mental Health Issues for Black and Ethnic Minority Academic Staff in Higher Education. Higher Education
- Arday, Jason, Zoe Belluigi, Dina & Thomas, Dave (2020). Attempting to break the chain: reimaging inclusive pedagogy and decolonising the curriculum within the academy. Educational Philosophy and Theory 1.
- Arday, Jason (2020). Fighting the tide: Understanding the difficulties facing Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) Doctoral Students’ pursuing a career in Academia. Educational Philosophy and Theory 1.
- Arday, Jason (2020). It’s the end of the World as we know it: Racism as a global killer of Black people and their emancipatory freedoms. Educational Philosophy and Theory 1.
- Arday, Jason (2020). Race, education and social mobility: We all need to dream the same dream and want the same thing. Educational Philosophy and Theory 1.
- Arday, J. (2018). Dismantling power and privilege through reflexivity: Negotiating normative Whiteness, the Eurocentric curriculum and racial micro-aggressions within the Academy. Whiteness and Education 3(2): 141-161.
- Arday, J. (2018). Understanding mental health: What are the issues for black and ethnic minority students at University?. Social Sciences 7(10): 196.
- Arday, J. (2018). Understanding race and educational leadership in higher education: Exploring the Black and ethnic minority (BME) experience. Management in Education 32(4): 192-200.
- Arday, J. (2013). Developing Professional Learning in Higher Education: Utilising Peer-mentoring to promote collaborative and reciprocal learning. Journal of Innovations in Practice 8(1): 36-48.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Arday, J (2020). BBC News Special: Black British History within the UK National Curriculum. BBC, June 2020.
- Arday, Jason (2020). BBC Radio 4 Moral Maze: Racial Justice. London: BBC.
- Arday, Jason (2020). Black applicants least likely to be offered PhD places. BBC Newsnight.
- Arday, J. (2020). Black British history 'missing from school curricula in England'. The Guardian
- Arday, Jason (2020). If we want a more equal Britain, we must teach its true Black History. The Guardian
- Arday, Jason (2020). National Curriculum 'systematically omits' Black British History. The Guardian, November 2020..
- Arday, Jason (2020). Talking about a Revolution: Diversifying the knowledge canon in the Academy. British Sociological Association (BSA), Everyday Society..
- Arday, Jason (2020). This is a Low: The Enduring effects of racial discrimination on mental health within the Academy. Higher Education Policy Institute (HEPI).
- Arday, J (2020). We must come together come together to dismantle racism in higher education. Times Higher Education.
- Arday, Jason (2020). White Staff and a white curriculum: Inside fashion education. Vogue Business
- Arday, Jason (2020). Why We need Black History in UK Schools. History Workshop Online, University of Cambridge.
- Arday, J. (2019). Racism in academia has major impact on BAME staff mental health. Times Higher Education
- Arday, Jason (2019). Research in Focus with Jason Arday. UK Council for Graduate Education (UKCGE)
- Arday, Jason (2019). There's still a lot of work to be done to tackle racial harassment in universities. Times Higher Education.
- Arday, J. (2019). Universities stamp out creativity: are graduates ready for work?. The Guardian
- Arday, J. (2017). Confronting racial inequality in the academy. University World News
- Arday, J (2021). Welsh Government: Wales Centre for Public Policy, Race Equality Action Plan, National Education Review (Evidence and Policy Recommendations).
- Arday, Jason (2020). Leading Routes: Exploring the Educational Transitions of Black students in Britain. UCL: London.
- Arday, J. (2020). The Black Curriculum: Black British History in the National Curriculum Report. London: The Black Curriculum.
- Arday, J. (2019). Exploring Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic academic under-representation and the dominant Eurocentric curriculum. London: CLASS/UCU.
- Williams, P., Bath, S., Arday, J. & Lewis, C. (2019). The Broken Pipeline: Barriers to Black PhD Students Accessing Research Council Funding. London: Leading Routes.
- Arday, J. (2017). Exploring Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) doctoral students' perceptions of a career in academia: Experiences, perceptions and career progression. London: University and College Union.
- Alexander, C. & Arday, J. (2015). Aiming higher: Race, inequality and diversity in the academy. London: Runnymede Trust.
- Alexander, C., Weekes-Bernard, D. & Arday, J. (2015). The school report: Race, education and inequality in contemporary Britain. London: Runnymede Trust.
Available for media contact about:
- General policy:
- Identity, ethnicity and culture:
- Social and ethical inequality:
- The Media:
- Social Policy: Family, youth, race & gender issues:
Sociology of Education (with Professor Vikki Boliver and Dr Sol Gamsu)
- Societies in Transition (co-convenor with Dr Andrew Orton)