Dr Jason Arday, BA Hons, PGCE, MA, MEd, PGCertTLHE, PGDip, PhD, fHEA
Assistant Professor in the Department of Sociology
- Race and Education
- Race and Class
- Race and Social Justice
- Race and Intersectionality
- Cultural Studies
Indicators of Esteem
- Editorial Board Member for Sociology :
- Editorial Board, Educational Philosophy and Theory: Reviewer of Papers, Reviewer of Special Issue Proposals:
- Lead Editor on Palgrave Race and Education Book Series:
- The Centre for Labour and Social Studies (CLASS) National Advisory Panel Member:
- Trustee of The Literacy Pirates :
- Trustee of the Racial Justice Network:
- Trustee of the Runnymede Trust:
- UK Council for Graduate Education (UKCGE) Working Group on BME Participation in Postgraduate Research Member:
- Universities UK Advisory Board Member on Racial Harassment in Higher Education:
- Arday, J. (2019). Considering Racialised Contexts in Education: Using reflective practice and peer-mentoring to support Black and Ethnic Minority educators. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Arday, J. (2019). Cool Britannia and Multi-Ethnic Britain: Uncorking the Champagne Supernova. Abingdon: Routledge.
Chapter in book
- Arday, J. (2019). Equality and diversity in teacher education: Developing an understanding of race and ethnicity in the classroom. In Teaching About Social Justice Issues in Physical Education. Hill, J., Walton-Fisette, J. L. & Sutherland, S. USA: Information Age Publishing.
- Arday, J. (2019). Race and educational leadership: Where do we start? In Race, Leadership and Education in England: An Integrated Analysis. Miller, P. & Callender, C. London: Bloomsbury.
- Arday, J. (2019). Understanding mental health: What are the issues for Black, Asian and minority ethnic staff at University. In The Springer Encyclopedia of Teacher Education: A Living Reference. Peters, M. USA: Springer.
- Arday, J. (2018). Being black, male and academic: Navigating the White Academy. In Dismantling Race in Higher Education: Racism, Whiteness and Decolonising the Academy. Arday, J. & Mirza, H. S. London: Palgrave Macmillan. 161-174.
- Arday, J. (2018). Understanding racism within the academy: The persistence of racism within higher education. In The Fire Now: Anti-Racist Scholarship in Times of Explicit Racial Violence. Johnson, A., Joseph-Salisbury, R. & Kamunge, B. London: Zed Books. 26-37.
- Arday, J. & Mirza, H. S. (2018). Dismantling Race in Higher Education: Racism, Whiteness and Decolonising the Academy. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Arday, J. (2018). Dismantling power and privilege through reflexivity: Negotiating normative Whiteness, the Eurocentric curriculum and racial micro-aggressions within the Academy. Whiteness and Education 3(2): 141-161.
- Arday, J. (2018). Understanding mental health: What are the issues for black and ethnic minority students at University?. Social Sciences 7(10): 196.
- Arday, J. (2018). Understanding race and educational leadership in higher education: Exploring the Black and ethnic minority (BME) experience. Management in Education 32(4): 192-200.
- Arday, J. (2013). Developing Professional Learning in Higher Education: Utilising Peer-mentoring to promote collaborative and reciprocal learning. Journal of Innovations in Practice 8(1): 36-48.
- Arday, J. (2020). Black British history 'missing from school curricula in England'. The Guardian
- Arday, J. (2019). Racism in academia has major impact on BAME staff mental health. Times Higher Education
- Arday, J. (2019). Universities stamp out creativity: are graduates ready for work?. The Guardian
- Arday, J. (2017). Confronting racial inequality in the academy. University World News
- Arday, J. (2020). The Black Curriculum: Black British History in the National Curriculum Report. London: The Black Curriculum.
- Arday, J. (2019). Exploring Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic academic under-representation and the dominant Eurocentric curriculum. London: CLASS/UCU.
- Williams, P., Bath, S., Arday, J. & Lewis, C. (2019). The Broken Pipeline: Barriers to Black PhD Students Accessing Research Council Funding. London: Leading Routes.
- Arday, J. (2017). Exploring Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) doctoral students' perceptions of a career in academia: Experiences, perceptions and career progression. London: University and College Union.
- Alexander, C. & Arday, J. (2015). Aiming higher: Race, inequality and diversity in the academy. London: Runnymede Trust.
- Alexander, C., Weekes-Bernard, D. & Arday, J. (2015). The school report: Race, education and inequality in contemporary Britain. London: Runnymede Trust.
Available for media contact about:
- General policy:
- Identity, ethnicity and culture:
- Social and ethical inequality:
- The Media:
- Social Policy: Family, youth, race & gender issues: