Dr Milica Vasiljevic
I joined Durham University as Assistant Professor in Quantitative Social Psychology in September 2018.
Prior to joining DU, I was a Senior Research Associate at the Institute of Public Health, University of Cambridge. At Cambridge I was a member of the Behaviour and Health Research Unit (BHRU: https://www.bhru.iph.cam.ac.uk), a policy research unit funded by the National Institute of Health Research (NIHR).
I continue my collaborative work with the University of Cambridge, where I am currently an Honorary Senior Visiting Fellow.
Drawing on social psychological principles, I investigate how cues in the environment impact health behaviours, and how this knowledge can be translated into effective behaviour change interventions to improve health and reduce inequalities. The bulk of my work to date has looked at how cues such as labelling and advertising affect people’s decisions to eat (un)healthily, drink alcohol, and/or smoke tobacco. Another strand of my research has focused on developing and evaluating interventions to increase societal equality and egalitarianism more generally.
Conducting laboratory, online, and field experiments, I specialise in testing samples drawn from the general population (both adult and children), using complex stratification techniques to examine socio-economic and other demographic differences between participants. My work is policy-focused and has contributed to national and international policies.
Department of Psychology
Chapter in book
- Van de Vyver, J., Travaglino, G., Vasiljevic, M. & Abrams, D. (2015). The group and cultural context of restorative justice: A social psychological perspective. In The psychology of restorative justice. Gavrielides, T. Ashgate Publishing.
- Vasiljevic, M. & Viki, G. T. (2013). Dehumanization, moral disengagement, and public attitudes to crime and punishment. In Humanness and Dehumanization. 129-146.
- Vasiljevic, M., Couturier, D-L., Frings, D., Moss, A. C., Albery, I. P. & Marteau, T. M. (2018), IMPACT OF LOWER ALCOHOL STRENGTH LABELS ON CONSUMPTION OF WINE AND BEER: A BAR LAB RANDOMISED CONTROLLED TRIAL, 52: SBM 39th Annual Meeting. S158-S158.
- Vasiljevic, M., Petrescu, D. C., Pepper, J. K., Ribisl, K. M. & Marteau, T. M. (2016), WHAT IS THE IMPACT OF E-CIGARETTE ADVERTS ON CHILDREN'S PERCEPTIONS OF TOBACCO SMOKING? A RANDOMISED CONTROLLED TRIAL, 23: INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF BEHAVIORAL MEDICINE. S196-S196.
- Vasiljevic, M., Richard, C. J., Francesca, P. & Monica, R. (2016), When Diversity Creates Tolerance: A New Intervention to Reduce Generalized Prejudice, 51: INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY. 430-430.
- Pechey, R., Cartwright, E., Pilling, M., Hollands, G. J., Vasiljevic, M., Jebb, S. A. & Marteau, T. M. (2019). Impact of increasing the proportion of healthier foods available on energy purchased in worksite cafeterias: A stepped wedge randomized controlled pilot trial. Appetite 133: 286-296.
- Vasiljevic, M., St John Wallis, A., Codling, S., Couturier, D.-L., Sutton, S. & Marteau, T. M. (2018). E-cigarette adverts and children's perceptions of tobacco smoking harms: an experimental study and meta-analysis. BMJ Open 8: e020247.
- Vasiljevic, M., Cartwright, E., Pilling, M., Lee, M-M., Bignardi, G., Pechey, R., Hollands, G. J., Jebb, S. A. & Marteau, T. M. (2018). Impact of calorie labelling in worksite cafeterias: a stepped wedge randomised controlled pilot trial. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 15: 41.
- Vasiljevic, M., Couturier, D-L. & Marteau, T. M. (2018). Impact of low alcohol verbal descriptors on perceived strength: An experimental study. British Journal of Health Psychology 23(1): 38-67.
- Vasiljevic, M., Couturier, D-L., Frings, D., Moss, A. C., Albery, I. P. & Marteau, T. M. (2018). Impact of lower strength alcohol labeling on consumption: A randomized controlled trial. Health Psychology 37: 658-667.
- Hollands, G. J., Cartwright, E., Pilling, M., Pechey, R., Vasiljevic, M., Jebb, S. A. & Marteau, T. M. (2018). Impact of reducing portion sizes in worksite cafeterias: a stepped wedge randomised controlled pilot trial. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 15: 78.
- Mantzari, E., Vasiljevic, M., Turney, I., Pilling, M. & Marteau, T. M. (2018). Impact of warning labels on sugar-sweetened beverages on parental selection: An online experimental study. Preventive Medicine Reports 12: 259-267.
- Vasiljevic, M, Couturier, D-L & Marteau, TM (2018). Impact on product appeal of labeling wine and beer with (a) lower strength alcohol verbal descriptors and (b) percent alcohol by volume (%ABV): An experimental study. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors 32(7): 779-791.
- Rosário, F., Vasiljevic, M., Pas, L., Fitzgerald, N. & Ribeiro, C. (2018). Implementing alcohol screening and brief interventions in primary health care: study protocol for a pilot cluster randomized controlled trial. Family Practice
- Vasiljevic, M., Coulter, L., Petticrew, M. & Marteau, T. M. (2018). Marketing messages accompanying online selling of low/er and regular strength wine and beer products in the UK: a content analysis. BMC Public Health 18: 147.
- Weick, M., Vasiljevic, M. & Sedikides, C. (2018). Taming the lion: How perceived worth buffers the detrimental influence of power on aggression and conflict. Frontiers in Psychology 9: 858.
- Abrams, D., Van de Vyver, J., Houston, D. M. & Vasiljevic, M. (2017). Does terror defeat contact? Intergroup contact and prejudice toward Muslims before and after the London bombings. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology 23(3): 260-268.
- Vasiljevic, M., Cartwright, E., Pechey, R., Hollands, G. J., Couturier, D-L., Jebb, S. A. & Marteau, T. M. (2017). Physical micro-environment interventions for healthier eating in the workplace: protocol for a stepped wedge randomised controlled pilot trial. Pilot and Feasibility Studies 3: 27.
- Weick, M., Vasiljevic, M., Uskul, A. K. & Moon, C. (2017). Stuck in the heat or stuck in the hierarchy? Power relations explain regional variations in violence. Behavioral and Brain Sciences 40: e102.
- Petrescu, D. C., Vasiljevic, M., Pepper, J. K., Ribisl, K. M. & Marteau, T. M. (2017). What is the impact of e-cigarette adverts on children's perceptions of tobacco smoking? An experimental study. Tobacco Control 26: 421-427.
- Van de Vyver, J., Houston, D. M., Abrams, D. & Vasiljevic, M. (2016). Boosting belligerence: How the July 7, 2005, London bombings affected Liberals' moral foundations and prejudice. Psychological Science 27(2): 169-177.
- Vasiljevic, M., Petrescu, D. C. & Marteau, T. M. (2016). Impact of advertisements promoting candy-like flavoured e-cigarettes on appeal of tobacco smoking among children: an experimental study. Tobacco Control 25: e107-e112.
- Vasiljevic, M., Ng, Y-L., Griffin, S. J., Sutton, S. & Marteau, T. M. (2016). Is the intention-behaviour gap greater amongst the more deprived? A meta-analysis of five studies on physical activity, diet, and medication adherence in smoking cessation. British Journal of Health Psychology 21: 11-30.
- Weick, M., Allen, J., Vasiljevic, M. & Yao, B. (2016). Walking blindfolded unveils unique contributions of behavioural approach and inhibition to lateral spatial bias. Cognition 147: 106-112.
- Abrams, D., Houston, D. M., Van de Vyver, J. & Vasiljevic, M. (2015). Equality hypocrisy, inconsistency, and prejudice: The unequal application of the universal human right to equality. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology 21(1): 28-46.
- Vasiljevic, M., Pechey, R. & Marteau, T. M. (2015). Making food labels social: The impact of colour of nutritional labels and injunctive norms on perceptions and choice of snack foods. Appetite 91: 56-63.
- Prati, F., Vasiljevic, M., Crisp, R. J. & Rubini, M. (2015). Some extended psychological benefits of challenging social stereotypes: Decreased dehumanization and a reduced reliance on heuristic thinking. Group Processes & Intergroup Relations 18(6): 801-816.
- Abrams, D. & Vasiljevic, M. (2014). How does macroeconomic change affect social identity (and vice versa?): Insights from the European context. Analyses of Social Issues and Public Policy 14: 311-338.
- Strelan, P., Weick, M. & Vasiljevic, M. (2014). Power and Revenge. British Journal of Social Psychology 53(3): 521-540.
- Yao, B., Vasiljevic, M., Weick, M., Sereno, M. E., O'Donnell, P. J. & Sereno, S. C. (2013). Semantic size of abstract concepts: It gets emotional when you can't see it. PLoS ONE 8(9): e75000.
- Guerra, V. M., Giner-Sorolla, R. & Vasiljevic, M. (2013). The importance of honor concerns across eight countries. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations 16: 298-318.
- Vasiljevic, M. & Crisp, R. J. (2013). Tolerance by Surprise: Evidence for a Generalized Reduction in Prejudice and Increased Egalitarianism through Novel Category Combination. PLoS ONE 8(3): e57106.
- Gutierrez, R., Giner-Sorolla, R. & Vasiljevic, M. (2012). Just an anger synonym? Moral context influences predictors of disgust word use. Cogntion & Emotion 26: 53-64.
- Abrams, D., Vasiljevic, M. & Wardrop, H. M. (2012). Prejudice reduction, collective action, and then what?. Behavioral and Brain Sciences 35: 425-426.
- Weick, M. & Vasiljevic, M. (2014). How attitude and behaviour affect our reactions to risk: The gorilla in the room. The Public Risk Management Association.
- Vasiljevic, M. , Weick, M., Taylor-Gooby, P., Abrams, D. & Hopthrow, T. (2013). Reasoning about extreme events: A review of behavioural biases in relation to catastrophe risks. Lighthill Risk Network.
- Abrams, D. & Vasiljevic, M. (2013). What Happens to People’s Identities When the Economy is Suffering or Flourishing?.