Dr Tehseen Noorani
My interests lie in the phenomenological, epistemic and sociopolitical character of extreme experiences, and how these are made sense of across different 'consciousness cultures'. Currently, I am writing a monograph tracing the renewed scientific and therapeutic interest in psychedelic experiences in the global North, exploring implications for thoeries of psychopathology and approaches to mental health care. Weaving together scientific, medical, spiritual and aesthetic registers, this research is situated in the context of medicalisation and the ongoing 'war on drugs'.
I have trained and taught in a range of disciplines including anthropology, psychology, sociology, socio-legal studies, epidemiology and science and technology studies, and have collaborated with anthropologists, human geographers, sociologists, psychopharmacologists, mental health service users and survivors, Mad Pride organisations and healthcare professionals. These experiences inform my interest in the epistemological, methodological and ethical challenges that arise in attempts to conduct meaningful interdisciplinary and participatory research.
I am a member of Hearing the Voice, a Wellcome Trust-funded project based in Durham University's Institute for Medical Humanities.
- Noorani, Tehseen & Langlitz, Nicolas (2016). An Anthropologist in Psychedelia: Interview with Nicolas Langlitz. The OPEN Foundation
Chapter in book
- Noorani, Tehseen (2017). The Psychonaut's Journey: Race, Closure and Hope. In Problems of Hope. Bresnihan, P, Dawney, L & Blencowe, C ARN Press.
- Noorani, Tehseen & Liebert, Rachel (2016). Launching More-than-human Investigations. In Listening with Non-human Others. Brigstocke, J & Noorani, T ARN Press.
- Noorani, Tehseen (2016). Psychedelic Nonwriting. In Listening With Non-human Others. Brigstocke, J & Noorani, T ARN Press.
- Noorani, Tehseen (2013). Participating with Objects. In Problems of Participation: Reflections on Authority, Democracy and the Struggle for Common Life. Noorani, T, Blencowe, C & Brigstocke, J ARN Press.
- Brigstocke, Julian & Noorani, Tehseen (2016). Listening With Non-human Others. ARN Press.
- Noorani, Tehseen, Blencowe, Claire & Brigstocke, Julian (2013). Problems of Participation: Reflections on democracy, authority, and the struggle for common life. ARN Press.
- Mazanderani, Fadhila, Noorani, Tehseen, Dudhwala, Farzana & Kamwendo, Zara Thokozani (2020). Knowledge, evidence, expertise? The epistemics of experience in contemporary healthcare. Evidence & Policy: A Journal of Research, Debate and Practice 16(2): 267-284.
- Noorani, Tehseen & Alderson-Day, Ben (2020). Spotlight commentary: REBUS and the anarchic brain. Neuroscience of Consciousness 2020(1).
- Noorani, Tehseen, Karlsson, Magnus & Borkman, Thomasina (2019). Deep experiential knowledge: reflections from mutual aid groups for evidence-based practice. Evidence & Policy: A Journal of Research, Debate and Practice 15(2): 217-234.
- Noorani, Tehseen (2019). Sciencing the mystical: the trickery of the psychedelic trip report. New Writing 16(4): 440-443.
- Blencowe, Claire, Brigstocke, Julian & Noorani, Tehseen (2018). Engines of alternative objectivity: Re-articulating the nature and value of participatory mental health organisations with the Hearing Voices Movement and Stepping Out Theatre Company. Health: An Interdisciplinary Journal for the Social Study of Health, Illness and Medicine 22(3): 205-222.
- Noorani, Tehseen, Garcia-Romeu, Albert, Swift, Thomas C., Griffiths, Roland R. & Johnson, Matthew W. (2018). Psychedelic therapy for smoking cessation: Qualitative analysis of participant accounts. Journal of Psychopharmacology 32(7): 756-769.
- Noorani, Tehseen (2017). Conducting Qualitative Research With Psychedelic Psychopharmacologists: Challenges of Co-Production in an Era of Interdisciplinarity. SAGE Research Methods Cases
- Noorani, Tehseen, Charlesworth, Andrew, Kite, Alison & McDermont, Morag (2017). Participatory Research and the Medicalization of Research Ethics Processes. Social & Legal Studies 26(3): 378-400.
- Brigstocke, Julian & Noorani, Tehseen (2016). Posthuman Attunements: Aesthetics, Authority and the Arts of Creative Listening. GeoHumanities 2(1): 1-7.
- Garcia-Romeu, Albert P., Noorani, Tehseen, Griffiths, Roland R. & Johnson, Matthew W. (2015). Long-term follow-up of psilocybin-facilitated smoking cessation: Abstinence outcomes and qualitative analysis of participant accounts. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 156: e78.
- Blencowe, Claire, Brigstocke, Julian & Noorani, Tehseen (2015). Theorising participatory practice and alienation in health research: A materialist approach. Social Theory & Health 13(3-4): 397-417.
- Noorani, Tehseen (2013). Service user involvement, authority and the ‘expert-by-experience’ in mental health. Journal of Political Power 6(1): 49-68.
- Meer, Nasar & Noorani, Tehseen (2008). A Sociological Comparison of Anti-Semitism and Anti-Muslim Sentiment in Britain. The Sociological Review 56(2): 195.
- Noorani, Tehseen (2018). The Changing Shape of Self-help/Mutual Aid. The Community Psychologist 51(2).
- Noorani, Tehseen (2017). Self-help and Mutual Aid: Greetings from the New Chair and Looking Ahead. The Community Psychologist 50(3).
- Noorani, Tehseen (2016). Patterning a World of Mushrooms. Psymposia Magazine
- Noorani, Tehseen (2016). Psychedelic Expereinces, Hope and Troubles of Inclusivity. Psymposia Magazine
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Noorani, Tehseen (2017). Psychedelic Pedagogy (radio interview). Radio.
- Blencowe, Claire, Brigstocke, Julian & Noorani, Tehseen (2013). Authority, Knowledge & Performance in Participatory Practice: Connected Communities Discussion Paper. AHRC.
- Blencowe, Claire, Brigstocke, Julian, Dawney, Leila, Amaral, Aecio, Kirwan, Samuel, Millner, Naomi & Noorani, Tehseen (2011). Immanent Authority and the Making of Community: Connected Communities Discussion Paper. AHRC.