Dr Konstantin Zamyatin, PhD Humanities (Helsinki)
Before this, Dr Zamyatin was Postdoctoral Researcher at the Department of Finnish, Finno-Ugrian and Scandinavian Studies, Faculty of Arts, University of Helsinki, Finland. In 2017-2018 he worked on a project that examined the impact of policies of language revivalism in Russia’s ethnic republics. In 2014-2016 he worked on a project focused on the internationalization of minority politics in Mari El, one of the ethnic republics in the Russian Federation. He holds a PhD in Finno-Ugrian Studies from the University of Helsinki. His PhD thesis was about the official status of minority languages, based on the empirical case of Russia’s Finno-Ugric republics.
Dr Zamyatin is currently completing a monograph with the working title Language Policies in the Finno-Ugric Republics of Post-Soviet Russia: When Language Revival Fails? He is the author of An Official Status for Minority Languages? A Study of State Languages in Russia’s Finno-Ugric Republics (2014). He has co-authored (with Janne Saarikivi and Annika Pasanen) a popular monograph entitled Why and How Languages of the Peoples of Russia are to be Maintained (in Russian, 2012).
- • Nationalism studies, ethnopolitics, indigenous rights and minority rights in international law.
- • Language policy, sociology of language, sociolinguistics minority language education, minority language politics.
- • Russian and East-European studies
- • Finno-Ugrian studies
Chapter in book
- Zamyatin, K. (2018). A Russian-Speaking Nation? The Promotion of the Russian Language and Its Significance for Ongoing Efforts at the Russian Nation-Building. In The Politics of Multilingualism: Linguistic Governance, Globalisation and Europeanisation. Grin, F. & Kraus, P.A. John Benjamins.
- Zamyatin, K. (2018). Language Policy of Russia: Uralic Languages. In Oxford Guide of Uralic Languages. Laakso, J, Skribnik, E & Bakró-Nagy, M Oxford University Press.
- Zamyatin, K. (2017). Indigenous Peoples and Education in the Russian Federation. In State of the World’s Indigenous Peoples. Vol. 3. Education. United Nations. 187-206.
- Zamyatin, K. (2016). Russia’s Minority Education and the European Language Charter. In Linguistic Genocide or Superdiversity: New and Old Language Diversities. Saarikivi, J. & Toivanen, R. Multilingual Matters. 249-283.
- Zamyatin, K. (2017). Power-sharing or Ethnic Domination? Ethnic Representation in the Republics of Russia in the Late 2000s – Early 2010s. Journal on Ethnopolitics and Minority Issues in Europe 16(3): 26-54.
- Zamyatin, K. (2016). An Ethnopolitical Conflict in Russia’s Republic of Mari El in the 2000s: The Study of Ethnic Politics under the Authoritarian Turn. Finnisch-Ugrische Forschungen 63: 214-253.
- Zamyatin, K. (2016). Russian Political Regime Change and Strategies of Diversity Management: From a Multinational Federation towards a Nation-State. Journal on Ethnopolitics and Minority Issues in Europe 15(1): 19-49.
- 2018: Durham International Junior Research Fellowship
- 2017: Postdoc Scholarship granted by Finnish Cultural Foundation, Finland
- 2014: Postdoc Scholarship granted by Kone Foundation, Finland
- 2013: Doctoral Scholarship granted by Finnish Cultural Foundation, Finland
- 2011: Research Associateship on project funded by Academy of Finland, Finland
- 2010: Doctoral Scholarship granted by Finno-Ugrian Society, Finland
- 2010: Doctoral Scholarship granted by Society of Swedish Literature in Finland, Finland