Dr Tessa Young
Tessa Young obtained her PhD in bioinorganic chemistry from the University of Melbourne (2017) working with Prof. Tony Wedd and Dr Zhiguang Xiao. She developed new spectroscopic probes to study copper-binding interactions and employed these to characterise the copper chemistry of the amyloid precursor protein (APP), an important biomolecule in Alzheimer's disease.
She joined Durham University in 2018 as a Junior Research Fellow (COFUND). Her current research interests include characterisation of cellular metal delivery proteins (metallochaperones) and metal-binding transcriptional regulators.
Department of Biosciences
- Young, Tessa R., Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2018). Evaluation of Cu(I) binding to the E2 domain of the amyloid precursor protein – a lesson in quantification of metal binding to proteins via ligand competition. Metallomics 10(1): 108-119.
- Young, Tessa R., Pukala, Tara L., Cappai, Roberto, Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2018). The Human Amyloid Precursor Protein Binds Copper Ions Dominated by a Picomolar Affinity Site in the Helix-Rich E2 Domain. Biochemistry 57(28): 4165-4176.
- Yako, Nineveh, Young, Tessa R., Cottam Jones, Jade M., Hutton, Craig A., Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2017). Copper binding and redox chemistry of the Aβ16 peptide and its variants: insights into determinants of copper-dependent reactivity. Metallomics 9(3): 278-291.
- Young, Tessa R., Wijekoon, Chathuri J. K., Spyrou, Benjamin, Donnelly, Paul S., Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2015). A set of robust fluorescent peptide probes for quantification of Cu(II) binding affinities in the micromolar to femtomolar range. Metallomics 7(3): 567-578.
- Wijekoon, Chathuri J. K., Young, Tessa R., Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2015). CopC Protein from Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 Features a Conserved Novel High-Affinity Cu(II) Binding Site. Inorganic Chemistry 54(6): 2950-2959.
- Young, Tessa R., Kirchner, Angie, Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2014). An integrated study of the affinities of the Aβ16 peptide for Cu(I) and Cu(II): implications for the catalytic production of reactive oxygen species. Metallomics 6(3): 505-517.
- Leong, Su Ling, Young, Tessa R., Barnham, Kevin J., Wedd, Anthony G., Hinds, Mark G., Xiao, Zhiguang & Cappai, Roberto (2014). Quantification of copper binding to amyloid precursor protein domain 2 and its Caenorhabditis elegans ortholog. Implications for biological function. Metallomics 6(1): 105-116.