Professor Paul Luft, Dipl. Phil. Persian Studies; Dr. Phil. Islamic Studies, Modern History and Turcology
Born and educated in Germany, Dr Luft received his academic training in Iranian Studies, Medieval and Modern History and Islamic Studies at the Universities of Berlin and Göttingen. After a three year Visiting Fellowship at St Antony's College Oxford between 1969 and 1972, and having a research/teaching post at Göttingen University, Dr Luft became a Fellow of the German Historical Institute, London.
Following his retirement, Dr Luft became an Honorary Fellow at the Institute of Middle Eastern & Islamic Studies, Durham University, co-founding the Centre for Iranian Studies.
- 1958-61 Secretary of the German-Arab Society; Berlin
- 1965-69 Research Fellow; Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
- 1969-73 Visiting Fellow, St. Antony's College; Oxford
- 1973-77 Assistant; University of Göttingen
- 1977-80 Fellow, German Historical Institute; London
- 1980-81 Temporary lecturer (part-time); University of Manchester
- 1981-89 Lecturer, Oriental School; University of Durham
- 1989-99 Lecturer/Senior lecturer; University of Manchester
Other academic activities
- 1977-80 Editor of the 'Bulletin' for the German Historical Institute; London
- 1983 Guest Professor, Tübingen University
- 1988 Guest Professor, Free University; Berlin
- 1988 Iranian Fellow, Oxford
- 1993 - Member of the editorial board of Journal of 'BRISMES'
- 2006 - Member of the editorial board of 'Iran'
Chapter in book
- Luft, J.P. (2000). 'Die Islamische Revolution 1979'. In Grosse Revolution der Geschicte. Wende, Peter. Meunchen: 333-356.
- Luft, J.P. (1994). 'Gottesstaat und hoefische Gesellschaft'. In Asien in der Neuzeit, 1500-1950. Dabringhaus, Sabine, Freitag, Ulrike & Air, Paul Frankfurt:
- Luft, J.P. (1986). 'The Persian Railway Syndicate and British Railway Policy in Iran'. In The Gulf in the Early 20th Century. Lawless, R.I.
- Luft, J.P. & Turner, Colin. (2008). 'Shi'ism: Critical Concepts in Islamic Studies'. London: Routledge.
- Luft, J.P. (1975). 'Strategische Interessen und Anleihenpolitik Russlands in Iran im 19.Jh'. Geschichte und Gesellschaft 1: 506-538.