Dr Guzel Yusupova
From October 2017 she is COFUND Junior Research Fellow on the Cross-Language Dynamics (OWRI) project. Her research project focuses on minority nationalism, language revitalization and inter-ethnic solidarity in Russia. In 2016-2017 she was Postdoctoral Fellow at the Institute for Research on Migration, Ethnicity and Society (REMESO) at Linköping University, Sweden.
Previously she was Visiting Fellow at the Institute for Human Sciences (IWM), Austria and Research Fellow at the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences. She holds a PhD in Sociology from European University at Saint-Petersburg and has taught at the Kazan Federal University, Tatarstan, Russia.
- Nationalism studies, sociology of ethnicity, multi/intercultural societies, social identity, complexity theory, language revitalization, Islam in Russia, qualitative methodology, Social Network Analysis
- Yusupova, Guzel (2016). A Review of Stephanie Cronin (ed.). Anti-Veiling Campaigns in the Muslim World: Gender, Modernism and the Politics of Dress. London; New York: Routledge, 2014, 288 pp. Forum for Anthropology and Culture (28): 320-333.
- Yusupova, Guzel (2018). Cultural nationalism and everyday resistance in an illiberal nationalizing state: ethnic minority nationalism in Russia. Nations and Nationalism 24(3): 624-647.
- Yusupova, Guzel & Ponarin, Eduard (2018). Social Remittances in Religion: Muslim Migrants in Russia and Transformation of Islamic Practices. Problems of Post-Communism 65(3): 188-200.
- Yusupova, Guzel (2017). Making ethnic boundaries in the society of religious renaissance: Islam and everyday ethnicity in post-Soviet Tatarstan. National Identities 1-16.
- Yusupova, Guzel (2016). The Islamic representation of Tatarstan as an answer to the equalization of the Russian regions. Nationalities Papers 44(1): 38-54.
- Yusupova, G. (2013). The Influence of Islam on Social Networks of Low-Skilled Migrants from Central Asia to Russia. MPC AS European University Institute 2013(01): 1-7.
- Yusupova, Guzel (2012). Ethnic Groups' Struggle for Status: The Role of Religion. = Борьба этнических групп за статус. Роль религии. Sociological journal (Социологический журнал) 1(3): 133-138.
- 2017: Durham International Junior Research Fellowship
- 2016: Visby Programme Scholarship granted by Swedish Institute, Sweden
- 2015: Alexander Herzen Junior Visiting Fellowship at the Institute for Human Sciences (IWM), Vienna/Austria