Dr Adam Talib, BA [California], MA [Cairo], DPhil [Oxon]
In my teaching and research, I present an array of the topics, genres, tastes, and opinions found in the rich corpus of pre-modern Arabic literature, but I'm particularly interested in literary representations of difference and marginality (including time, sexuality, age, ethnicity, language, etc.) My current research is devoted to literary production during the long neglected Mamluk and Ottoman periods of Arab history (from roughly the mid-13th century to the early 19th century). I am also interested in the history of Persian and Ottoman Turkish poetry, especially with regard to their interactions with the Arabic literary tradition.
My first monograph, How Do You Say "Epigram" in Arabic?, came out with Brill in 2018 and I'm currently at work on two other books: (1) a study of sexual violence in classical Arabic literature and (2) a history of Arabic poetry anthologies.
I'm the associate editor of the Journal of Arabic Literature responsible for classical submissions and I'm on the editorial board of the Journal of World Literature and the advisory board of Gorgias Press' Modern Muslim World book series. I'm also on the jury for Gorgias Press' Classical Islamic World Book Prize.
I studied literary translation with the late master Michael Henry Heim while I was an undergraduate at UCLA. I've translated four novels from Arabic into English as well as several shorter pieces. My co-translation of Raja Alem's The Dove's Necklace tied for 1st place in the Arabic-to-English category at the 2017 Sheikh Hamad Award for Translation.
- Classical Arabic Poetry
- Arabic literary history and the canon
- Comparative Islamicate poetry: the development of poetic traditions in Arabic, Persian, and Ottoman literatures
- Classical Arabic literary scholarship: rhetoric, criticism, and prosody
- Literary Translation
Indicators of Esteem
- 2017: 1st place (tied) Arabic into English, Hamad Translation Award 2017:
- 2017: 2016–17 Jean Gimbel Lane Global Humanities Scholar-in-Residence, Northwestern University:
- Talib, Adam (2018). How do you say “Epigram” in Arabic? Literary history at the limits of comparison. Leiden Boston: Brill.
Chapter in book
- Talib, Adam (2018). Citystruck. In The City in Arabic Literature: Classical and Modern Perspectives. Hermes, Nizar F. & Head, Gretchen Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. 138-164.
- Talib, Adam (2017). Fathers and Husbands. In Arabic Humanities, Islamic Thought: a Essays in Honor of Everett K. Rowson. Lowry, Joseph E. & Toorawa, Shawkat M. Leiden Boston: Brill. 141: 233-255.
- Talib, Adam (2014). Caricature and obscenity in mujūn poetry and African-American women’s hip-hop. In The Rude, the Bad, and the Bawdy: Essays in honour of Professor Geert Jan van Gelder. Talib, Adam, Hammond, Marlé & Schippers, Arie Cambridge: Gibb Memorial Trust. 276-298.
- Talib, Adam (2013). Topoi and Topography in the Histories of al-Ḥīra. In History and Identity in the Late Antique Near East. Wood, Philip Oxford: Oxford University Press. 123–147.
- Talib, Adam (2011). Le Gallienne’s Paraphrase and the limits of translation. In FitzGerald's Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám: Popularity and Neglect. Poole, Adrian, van Ruymbeke, Christine, Martin, William H. & Mason, Sandra Anthem Press. 175–192.
- Talib, Adam, Hammond, Marlé & Schippers, Arie (2014). The Rude, the Bad, and the Bawdy: Essays in honour of Geert Jan van Gelder. Gibb Memorial Trust.
- Talib, Adam & Balda-Tillier, Monica (2015). Arabic literature, 1200–1800: a new orientation. Annales Islamologiques, 49 Institut français d’archéologie orientale.
- Talib, Adam (2015). A New Source for the Poetry of Ibn Maṭrūḥ (1196–1251). Annales Islamologiques 49: 115-142.
- Talib, Adam (2013). The Many Lives of Arabic Verse: Ibn Nubātah al-Miṣrī Mourns More Than Once. Journal of Arabic Literature 44(3): 257-292.
- Talib, Adam (2013). Woven together as though randomly strung: Variation in collections of naevi-poetry compiled by al-Nuwayrī and al-Sarī al-Raffāʾ. Mamlūk Studies Review 17: 23-42.
- Talib, Adam (2012). Pseudo-Ṯaʿālibī’s Book of Youths. Arabica 59(6): 599–649.
- Talib, Adam & Halls, Katharine (trans.) (2016). Alim, Raja, The Dove's Necklace by Raja Alem (translation of the Arabic novel Ṭawq al-ḥamām, Casablanca: al-Markaz ath-Thaqāfī al-ʿArabī, 2010) . New York, NY: Overlook Duckworth
- Talib, Adam (trans.) (2011). Sarmada by Fadi Azzam (translation of the Arabic novel Sarmadah, Beirut: ad-Dār al-ʿArabiyyah lil-ʿUlūm, 2011) . Haus, Interlink
- Talib, Adam (trans.) (2011). The Hashish Waiter by Khairy Shalaby (translation of the Arabic novel Ṣāliḥ Hēṣah, Cairo: Dār al-Hilāl, 2000; repr. Dār ash-Shurūq, 2008) . American Univ. in Cairo Press
- Talib, Adam (trans.) (2009). Cairo Swan Song by Mekkawi Said (translation of the Arabic novel Taghrīdat al-bajʿah, Cairo: ad-Dār, 2006) . American Univ. in Cairo Press