Miss Yimon Lo, BA (CUHK), MA (Bristol)
Yimon Lo is a Ph.D. candidate in English Studies at Durham University, where she works under the supervision of Professor Michael O’Neill, Professor Mark Sandy, and Dr Peter Garratt. She works on the literature of English Romanticism, with a focus on the poetry and prose of William Wordsworth. Her doctoral thesis examines Wordsworth’s soundscape and auditory imagination through the disciplinary lens of musical aesthetics. Her research offers an extended study of Wordsworth’s sense of musicality in relation to the poet’s key philosophical and literary ideas on lyricism and poetic harmony.
She received her M.A. with Distinction in English Literature from University of Bristol in 2016, specialising in Romantic and Victorian Literature. Her thesis, titled ‘The Forever Gliding Stream: The Form and Function of Wordsworth’s River Duddon Sonnets’, re-evaluates one of Wordsworth’s most neglected works in contemporary criticisms by re-appraising the constructed nature of the sonnet sequence as a form of literary expression and artistic creation.
She completed her B.A. (Hons.) in English at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, and was awarded the Yau Ying Sum Scholarship and the Undergraduate Student Research Studentship.
Yimon’s main research interests include the literature and philosophy of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, poetry and poetics, literature and music, and lyric theories. She is happy to discuss any aspect of her research interests.
- Lo, Yimon (2018), ‘“[W]hat they half create, / And what perceive” The Voice of Nature and Wordsworth’s Auditory Imagination in The Prelude’, British Association for Romantic Studies Conference. Glasgow.
- Lo, Yimon (2018), ‘“Dear Native Brook!” The River Sonnets of Bowles, Coleridge, and Wordsworth’, Coleridge Summer Conference. Cambridge, England.
- Lo, Yimon (2018), ‘“Heard in the stillness of the evening air, / Half-heard and half-created” Romantic Lyricism and Wordsworth’s Poetic Mind’, Symposium of Sound. Durham, England.
- Lo, Yimon (2018), ‘“Music of finer tone” Wordsworth’s Poetics of Silence and Its Function of Reintegration’, Wordsworth Summer Conference. Rydal Hall, England.
- Lo, Yimon (2017), 'Dwelling in Sweet Harmonies: The Agency of Sound and Wordsworth’s Affective Memories in "Tintern Abbey"’, Wordsworth Summer Conference. Rydal Hall, England.
- Chou, Megumi & Lo, Yimon (2017). Postgraduate English. 34
- Chou, Megumi & Lo, Yimon (2017). Postgraduate English. 35