Mr Jack Robert Edmunds-Coopey, BA English Literature and History (University of Leicester), MLitt Intellectual History (University of St Andrews), PhD Candidate German (Durham University)
As a PhD German Studies candidate at Durham University, my doctoral work concerns the Concept of Totality: Visions of the Whole in the Work of Fredric Jameson (2016--). I read English Literature and History at the University of Leicester (2012-2015). I worked with Ian Harris on an dissertation on Locke and the State of Nature which consolidated my interests in philosophy of history and literature. After my bachelor, I undertook a Masters of Letters in Intellectual History at the University of St Andrews (2015-2016) working with Caroline Humfress on essays concerning Derrida, Badiou's and Nietzsche's Saint Paul, and a masters thesis on Foucault in the College de France lectures.
PhD Thesis (2016--) -- The Concept of Totality: Visions of the Whole in the Work of Fredric Jameson
Digital Studies Network | Real Smart Cities Network | Centre for Cultural Ecologies
- Intellectual History, History of Philosophy, Political Philosophy, History of Political Thought, Enlightenment Studies, Poststructuralism
- Antenhofer, Christina (Accepted). Fetisch als heuristische Kategorie, Geschichte, Rezeption, Interpretation. Historical Materialism
- Coopey, Robert, Jack (Accepted). Geoffrey Bennington: Kant on the Frontier: Philosophy, Politics, and the Ends of the Earth. Phenomenological Reviews
- Stefan, Breuer (2018). Die radikale Rechte in Deutschland 1871-1945. Historical Materialism
- (2018). Horst Friedrich, Hegels Wissenschaft der Logik, Ein marxistischer Kommentar, Zweiter Teil, Dietz Berlin, 2006 (1/3). Historical Materialism
- Coopey, Robert, Jack (2017). The Death Penalty – Volumes I & II, The Seminars of Jacques Derrida. Phenomenological Reviews
Chapter in book
- (Accepted). Eclipses: Heidegger and Barfield, the 'Letting-Speak' of Poetry and the Transcendental Imagination, An Uncanny Resemblance. In CALL FOR BOOK CHAPTERS: OWEN BARFIELD IN CONTEMPORARY CONTEXTS. Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- (Forthcoming), Behemoth: Benjamin's Critique of Violence, Deconstructing the Concept of Violence. Law and Power in Heidegger, Benjamin, Derrida and Foucault 18-19 May 2017 Spring School. University of Halle (Martin Luther Universität), Germany.
- (Accepted), Hospitalities: A Critique of Giorgio Agamben's Homo Sacer and Alain Badiou's Theory of the Subject towards a nihilistic ethics of resistance, 2018 Ian Ramsey Centre Summer Conference Transhumanism, Posthumanism and Super-Naturalism Mathematical Institute and Egrove Park, Oxford, 6-7 July 2018. University of Oxford, England.
- (Forthcoming), Hospitalities: The Question of Technology and Modernity, Alienation and Being, A Shadow of Nostalgia from Walter Benjamin, Cambridge French Graduate Conference 2017 #NousSommes. Cambridge, England.
- (Accepted), Perergons: The Metanormative Aesthetics of Continental Metaphilosophy, A Phenomenology of Emotions, The Consortium of European Research on Emotion (CERE). Glasgow, Scotland.
- (Accepted), Perergons: The Normative Aesthetics of Continental Metaphilosophy, Call for abstracts - The Future of Normativity - Kent - June 2018. University of Kent, England.
- (Accepted), The Origins of Legal Positivism as Natural Law: A Philosophical Account of the Norm of Law and its Exception in Carl Schmitt and Hans Kelsen, Cambridge Legal Theory Symposium will be held on 14 August 2018 at the University of Cambridge. University of Cambridge, England.
- (Accepted), The Ethics of Evil: Teleology and Foucault, SEP-FEP 2018 - Society for European Philosophy and Forum for European Philosophy Joint Conference. University of Essex, England.
- Coopey, Robert, Jack (Accepted), The Hammerings of Heavens: Totality, The Spirituality of the Whole and Religiosity of the Sublime in German Romanticism, CFP: Particularizing Secularism, Secularity, and Nonreligion conference CfP - King's College London - July 2018. King's College, London.
- (Accepted), Theodicy of Theogony: The Decadence of Enlightenment Value-Meanings, Humanism of the Death Camps, Workshop: Primo Levi and Jean Améry: Auschwitz and the Possibility of Enlightenment Secular Humanism. King's College, London.
- (2019), Alcuin and Logic: The Task of True Philosophical Thinking in the Carolingian Renaissance in Alcuin's Prologue, BRITAIN'S EARLY PHILOSOPHERS (Durham, April 1-2, 2019). University of Durham.
- (2019), Artifice: Francisco Suárez and Heidegger's Modernity of Metaphysics, A Baroque contribution to the downfall of Scholastic thought, 'What is the Matter of/with Medieval Philosophy?', International Medieval Congress, Leeds 1-4 July 2019. University of Leeds.
- (2019), Body and Corporeality in Ancient Philosophy – Foucault and the Ethics of the Self, Fifth Annual Conference of the Centre for the Study of Global Ethics (30-31 May 2019 – University of Birmingham). University of Birmingham, England.
- (2019), Citadels: The Frankfurt School and its relevance to Undemocratic Regimes, 12th INTERNATIONAL CRITICAL THEORY CONFERENCE OF ROME May 9-11, 2019. John Felice Rome Center of Loyola University Chicago.
- (2019), The Hammerings of Heavens: The Inception and Experience of Language in German Idealism (1780-1840), ‘Languages in Society Conference', Modern Languages & Cultures. University of Durham, England.
- (2019), The Modernity of Technology: Benjamin's Arcades and Baudelaire's Paris, Between the Constellation and the Auratic, Benjamin’s Baudelaire – Constellations of Modernity A Workshop for Early Career Researchers. Goldsmiths University of London, England.
- (2018), Citadels: The Frankfurt School and its relevance to Undemocratic Regimes, Annual Scottish Graduate Classics Conference (held under the auspices of StAGE) Power and the People in Undemocratic Regimes University of Glasgow, 3-4 May 2018. University of Glasgow, Scotland.
- (2018), Critique or Violence: Arendt's critique of totalitarianism and Benjamin's violence of the constellation, a Messianism, Fifteenth Annual Historical Materialism conference which is being held 8th to 11th November 2018 at SOAS, University of London. SOAS, University of London, England.
- Coopey, Robert, Jack (2018), History of Mathematical Objects: Aristotle's and Husserl's conception of matter, form and mind and its relation to Number, 12th London Ancient Science Conference 2018 12th-14th February. Institute of Classical Studies, UCL, England.
- (2018), Macintyre's Marxism and Critical Theory: An inter-disciplinary lesson for future praxis, 2018 Annual Conference Learning from MacIntyre Durham University, UK Call for Papers. Durham, England.
- (2018), Minor Idealisms: The minoritarian case of H. H. Joachim (1868-1938) and Spinoza's Ethics, a home for the Analytic revolution, Spinoza & British Idealism 8 & 9 June 2018. University of St Andrews, Scotland.
- (2018), Parsimonies: Deconstructions of Feminine Difference and its relation towards a Feminist Method, Challenging Dominant Discourse: Feminist Conversations across Political Science and Political Theory May 22, 2018, 9am-3pm, University of Exeter, Department of Politics. University of Exeter, England.
- (2018), Parsimonies: Feminine Difference and its Non-Identity towards Resistance and Emancipation in Cixous, Butler, Kristeva and Irigaray, 6th Annual Conference and General Meeting of SWIP-Ireland. 17-19 May, 2018 University College Dublin, Ireland.
- (2018), Pataphilosophy: Phenomenology and Physics as handmaidens, The Promise of a New Science in Deleuze's History of Philosophy and Hegel's Science of Logic, Annual British Society for Phenomenology Conference. University of Kent, England.
- (2018), Pataphilosophy: Phenomenology and Physics as handmaidens, The Promise of a New Science in Deleuze’s History of Philosophy and Hegel’s Science of Logic, “Philosophy of Physics” (AGPhil) of the German Physical Society (DPG), “Reduction and Emergence in Physics”,. TU University of Berlin, Germany
- (2018), Perergons: The Normative Aesthetics of Continental Metaphilosophy, The Future of Normativity University Kent, UK Centre for Practical Normativity. University of Kent, 28th-30th June 2018.
- (2018), Teleology and the History of Religion in Foucault, (British Sociological Association), Sociology of Religion Conference - Religion and Education (Strathclyde University, Glasgow) 2018. Glasgow, Scotland.
- (2018), The Empire of the Earth; An Intellectual History of the Concept of Empire, From Akkad to Neoliberalism, The 2018 Telos Europe Conference: The Endurance of Empire. Ragusa, Sicily.
- (2018), The Hammerings of Heavens: Totality, The Spirituality of the Whole and Religiosity of the Sublime in German Idealism and Jena Romanticism (1780-1840), 63rd National PG Colloquium in German Studies (London, 12-13 April 2018). University of London, Senate House, England.
- (2018), The Judgement of Reason: The Aesthetics of Art as the Play and Essence of the Human Being in Immanuel Kant as the relation between Freedom and Nature (1724-1804), ECPR, European Consortium for Political Research, General Conference, 2018. Hamburg, Germany.
- (2018), Totality and the Living Philosophic Tradition in German Idealism and Jena Romanticism (1780-1840), The Prometheus Trust - 13th Annual conference: 'Living philosophic traditions' June 29th - July 1st, 2018. Mancetter, Warwickshire, UK.
- (2017), 'The Vigils of Lights: The Question of Europe's Universalism and its Philosophical Timelessness as Undecidability of the Human Subject; Jacques Derrida's Messianism and the Crisis of European Identity as the Debt of Capital and the Time of Liberal Democracy', The European Union and the Politicization of Europe (6th Edition), 11 – 12 December 2017. Florence, Italy.
- (2017), Avowals: Arendt's Heideggereanism and its deconstruction of authoritarianism, Arendt and Critical Theory Today 2nd Istanbul Critical Theory Conference – in Exile at the Carl von Ossietzky University, Oldenburg*. Oldenburg, Germany.
- (2017), Blessedness: Lenin and the Event of Empirico-Criticism as Praxis, International Conference One Hundred Years That Shook the World: Failures, Legacies, and Futures of the Russian Revolution. St.Gallen, Switzerland.
- (2017), Critique or Violence: Arendt's critique of totalitarianism and Benjamin's violence of the constellation, a Messianism, 10th International Critical Theory Conference of Rome. Rome, Italy
- (2017), Flows and Plateaus: Henri Bergson's Philosophy of Life and Deleuze's Vitalism, A humanization of the Science of Life, Religion, Society, and the Science of Life, 2017 IRC-ISSR Conference, Oxford, 19-22 July. Oxford.
- (2017), Foucault and the Art of the Self -- Body and Corporeality in Ancient Philosophy, Opera Fieri. Portugal.
- (2017), Holograms: A Critique of Giorgio Agamben's Homo Sacer and Alain Badiou's Theory of the Subject towards a nihilistic ethics of resistance, Beyond Humanism Conference Rome 2017. Rome, Italy
- (2017), Hourglass Dawns: The Becoming of Time as Space, Contemporary Post-Phenomenological Philosophy and its nemesis of Time in the Work of Agamben, Nancy and Jameson, Materiality of Time: Phenomenology and its Place in Archaeology. Cardiff, Wales.
- (2017), Idea of Form: Lukács and the Theory of the Novel: A Radical Foundation to Theories of Form and towards a Revolutionary Philosophy of Literature, The Legacy of Georg Lukács An International Conference, 27–29 April, 2017. Budapest, Hungary
- Coopey, Robert, Jack (2017), Inaesthetics: Hegel's Form of Dialectic in the Concept of Totality and its expression in the Absolute, and Marx's Totality as Labour, Capitalism and the Modes of Production, 32nd International Hegel Congress Hegel’s Encyclopaedic System and its Legacy 32nd International Hegel Congress of the International Hegel-Society at the University of Tampere June 5–8, 2018. Tampere Finland.
- (2017), Obelisks: Benjamin's and Derrida's Messianism in the Utopianism of Scripture and its foundation in the Talmud, Jewish Thought in the Context of World Philosophy. St Petersburg, Russia.
- (2017), The Ethics of Evil: Teleology and Foucault's War on the Self, Teleology - Conceptual Corpse or Plastic Concept? 2017 CRMEP Graduate Conference. London.
- (2017), Thorns & Thistles: Recoils of the Subject and its Plateaus of Sensations, A Post-Deleuzian Critique, CAPPE Giving Life to Politics: The Work of Adriana Cavarero. Brighton, England.
- (2017), Vistas: Foucault and the Birth of the Medical Gaze, A Critique of Western Metaphysics and a comparison to Chinese traditions of Medicine, Biennial Meeting of the European Association for Chinese Philosophy. Basel, Switzerland.
- (2016), Against Methodology; The Limits and Boundaries of Historical Knowledge, Discourse and Representation; The Cambridge School; Authorial Intention, Contextualisation and Biographical notes in contrast to the Foucauldian Archaeology, History Department Research Seminar. St Andrews, Scotland.
- (2016), Halos, A Deconstruction of the Critiques of International Political Economy and its Discontents, World (dis)order. St Andrews, Scotland.
- (2016), Telluric, An Exposition of Walter Benjamin's contributions to the contemporary understanding of History itself through the philosophical analysis of historical research, Contemporary History Workshop, University of Cambridge. Cambridge, England.
- (2016), The Ethics of Resistance: Sovereignty and Territoriality in Foucault's College de France lectures (1970-1984), Narrating Nation, Sovereignty and Territory. Durham, England.
- Coopey Robert Jack (Accepted). Citadels: Crisis of Representation as Authoritarian, The Ruling Class in Adorno and Rosanvallon. Philosophy and Public Issues
- (Planned). Minor Idealisms: The minoritarian case of H. H. Joachim (1868-1938) and Spinoza's Ethics, a home for the Analytic revolution. British Journal of the History of Philosophy
- Coopey, Robert, Jack (Accepted). Obelisks: Scholem's Messianism in the Utopianism of Scripture. Jewish Thought in the Context of World Philosophy Thematic issue of the Judaica Petropolitana
- Coopey, Robert, Jack (Accepted). The Gates of the City: Jean Bodin's Natural Religion and the Concept of Sovereignty and the Demon-Mania of Witches. Special issue on Jean Bodin in Political Theology
- Coopey, Jack Robert (2018). Hourglass dawns: the becoming of time as space – a note on the work of Agamben, Nancy and Jameson. Time and Mind 11(3): 337-342.
- (2018). Juxtaposing the Philosophical Projects of Schmitt and Marcuse, Joseph Diaz’s “Schmitt and Marcuse: Friends, Force, and Quality” from Telos 165 (Winter 2013). Telos Press, Critical Theory of the Contemporary
- (2018). On Hegel’s Critique of the Noumenal in Kant. Telos, Critical Theory of the Contemporary
- (2018). On Marcuse, Phenomenology, and Marxism. Telos, Critical Theory of the Contemporary
- (2018). Schmitt, Agamben, and Ongoing Founding Events, Jeffrey Bussolini’s “Ongoing Founding Events in Carl Schmitt and Giorgio Agamben” from Telos 157 (Winter 2011). Critical Theory of the Contemporary
- (2018). The Hegelian Subject of Corporeal Vulnerability in Butler. Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy
- Coopey, Robert & Jack (2017). The Ethics of Resistance: Sovereignty and Territoriality in Foucault's College de France lectures (1970-1984), Narrating Nation, Sovereignty and Territory. Durham, England. Exchanges, Warwick University Research Journal
- (Accepted), The Enlightenment Origins of Knowledge, A Genealogy of Political Knowledge from the East, ISECS International Congress on the Enlightenment 15-19 July 2019. University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
- (Accepted), The Power-Play of Seyn (Be-ing) and Esti gar einai (For Being Is Taking Place): A Re-assessment of Heidegger's misreading of Plato's Cosmology and the Power of Metaphysics, AMPAL 2019 'Power Play in the Ancient World' Thursday 13th - Friday 14th June 2019. University of Leeds, England.
- (2019), Behemoth: Henri Bergson and the Process of Creative Evolution, Alfred Whitehead and Process Philosophy in relation to Developmental bias, Plasticity, Niche Construction and Extra-Genetic Inheritance, Evolution Evolving, Process, Mechanism and Theory. University of Cambridge, 1-4 April 2019.
- (2019), Foucault and Ancient Philosophy of Law, Société Internationale Fernand de Visscher pour l’Histoire des Droits de l’Antiquité. University of Edinburgh from 2 – 7 September 2019.
- (2019), Gigantisms: Heidegger's Black Notebooks and the Meaning of Being to the History of Being as Heimatland and the Writing style of the Denktagebuch, On the History of Being – after the Black Notebooks Manchester, UK, from Friday, the 31st of May to Sunday, the 2nd of June, 2019, British Society of Phenomenology. University of Manchester, England.
- (2019), Gigantomachia: Totality and Truth: Visions of the Whole as Truth in the Work of Fredric Jameson, Association of Philosophy and Literature with Theory, Culture & Society. Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt.
- (2019), The Sanctuary of the Experience of Seyn (Be-ing) and Esti gar einai (For Being Is Taking Place): A Re-assessment of Heidegger's misreading of Plato's Cosmology and the Greek Temple, Sanctuaries and Experience: Knowledge, Practice and Space in the Ancient World Institute of Classical Studies, Senate House, London 8th–10th April 2019. University of London, England.
- (2018), The Concept of Totality: Visions of the Whole in the Works of Fredric Jameson, Matariki, Network of Universities, Partnering for a Better World Borders and Boundaries: Transgression in History and the Present Age Research Workshop, Durham University, 30 November—2 December 2018. Durham University, England.
Is supervised by
- 2019: 5th European Advanced Seminar in the Philosophy of the Life Sciences (EASPLS 2018) "Interdisciplinarity in the Life Sciences and their Philosophy
- 2019: (2019) (Accepted) The Nature of Contemporary Desire, Institute of Advanced Study, Durham, Conference
- 2019: (Host) (Accepted): 64th National PG Colloquium in German Studies (Durham University, 12-13 April 2019).
- 2019: Research partner of the Real Smart Cities project. A 3 year Marie Skłodowska-Curie RISE (Research and Innovation Staff Exchange) Action Programme
- 2018: British Academy, Newton Fund, KEELE-OXFORD-ST ANDREWS KANTIAN (KOSAK) RESEARCH CENTRE Friday, 9 March 2018, 6-7:15pm Conference Room, Claus Moser Research Centre ‘J.-J. ROUSSEAU’* ANNUAL LECTURE By Pauline Kleingeld (Groningen)
- 2018: British Sociological Association, Sociology of Religion Study Group (SocRel) Annual Conference 2018
- 2018: Digital Life/Digital Studies; From Epistemic to Vital Rupture
- 2018: ECPR, European Consortium for Political Research, General Conference, 2018
- 2018: Hyle & Flux: Aristotle's concept of matter and Husserl's understanding of mind and matter, Objects and Properties: Generating Dialogue 29th-30th of June. St. John's College, University of Cambridge, England
- 2018: ISME Annual Conference Learning from MacIntyre, Durham University
- 2018: SEP-FEP 2018 - Society for European Philosophy and Forum for European Philosophy Joint Conference.
- 2018: STAGE Conference, Classical Association of Great Britain, University of St Andrews
- 2018: Spinoza & British Idealism, Scots Philosophical Association, Mind, University of St Andrews
- 2018: The Prometheus Trust - 13th Annual conference: 'Living philosophic traditions' June 29th - July 1st, 2018
- 2017: Institute of Advanced Study, Durham: Conference-Workshop - The Philosophy of Life, Utopias of Politics, Anthropology and Biology