Prof Olga Epitropaki, PhD, MSc, BSc
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Prior to joining Durham University Business School, Olga was Professor of Organizational Behavior at ALBA Graduate Business School at the American College in Greece where she held the "Stavros Costopoulos" Chair in Human Resource Management and Development. She previously worked at Aston University and the Institute of Work Psychology at Sheffield University.
Her research has been published in top refereed journals, such as the Academy of Management Annals, Journal of Applied Psychology, the Leadership Quarterly, the Journal of Organizational Behavior, the Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Personnel Psychology and the Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, among others. For her doctoral thesis, she won the 2001 Jepson School Award for Outstanding Dissertations in Leadership Studies, and she was among the six finalists for the 2000 Newman Best Dissertation Award for the Academy of Management.
She is Senior Associate Editor of the Leadership Quarterly, Associate Editor of the British Journal of Management and Associate Editor of Frontiers in Psychology: Organizational Psychology. She is also a
member of various Editorial Boards.
She has further worked for many years as a consultant and executive trainer for numerous Greek and multinational companies such as AIG, AstraZeneca (Russia), Athens International Airport, Bancpost (Roumania), Boehringer-Ingelheim, EFG-Eurobank, Erste Bank (Slovenia), GlaxoSmithKline, Minerva, Interamerican, ING, National Bank of Greece, National Power Corporation, Novo Nordisk (Dubai), Pepsico, Phillip Morris, Piraeus Bank, Sanofi Aventis, Titan Group, Vodafone, Xerox and others.
You can contact Olga at email@example.com.
Olga Epitropaki is Professor of Management at Durham University Business School. She received her PhD from Cardiff University in 2000. Her research focuses mainly on social cognition and dyadic/group processes related to leadership. She is also interested in creative leadership and the application of arts-based interventions in management education.
- Implicit Leadership Theories (ILTs)
- Leader-Member Exchanges (LMX)
- Creative Leadership
- Transformational Leadership
- Psychological Contracts
- 1: Mainemelis, B., Kark, R. & Epitropaki, O. (2015). Creative leadership: a multi-context conceptualization. The Academy of Management Annals 9(1): 393-482.
- 2: Epitropaki, O., Kark, R., Mainemelis, C. & Lord, R.G. (2017). Leadership and followership identity processes: A multilevel review. The Leadership Quarterly 28(1): 104-129.
- 3: Epitropaki, O., Kapoutsis, I., Ellen III, B.P., Ferris, G.R., Drivas, K. & Ntotsi, A. (2016). Navigating Uneven Terrain: The Roles of Political Skill and LMX Differentiation in Prediction of Work Relationship Quality and Work Outcomes. Journal of Organizational Behavior 37(7): 1078-1103.
- 4: Marstand, A.F., Martin, R. & Epitropaki, O. (2017). Complementary person-supervisor fit: An investigation of supplies-values (S-V) fit, leader-member exchange (LMX) and work outcomes. The Leadership Quarterly 28(3): 418-437.
- 5: Marstand, A.F., Epitropaki, O. & Martin, R. (2018). Cross-lagged relations between perceived leader–employee value congruence and leader identification. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 91(2): 411-420.
- 6: Martin, R., Guillaume, Y., Thomas, G., Lee, A. & Epitropaki, O. (2016). Leader-member Exchange (LMX) and Performance: A Meta-analytic Review. Personnel Psychology 69(1): 67-121.
- Epitropaki, O., Kyriakopoulos, K. & Zarkos, S. (2011). Management in times of crisis. Athens: Kastaniotis (in Greek).
- Martin, R., Epitropaki, O. & O’Broin, L. (2017). Methodological Issues in Leadership Training: In Pursuit of Causality. In Methodological Challenges and Advances in Managerial and Organizational Cognition. Sund, K.J., Galavan, R.J. & Hodgkinson, G.P. Emerald Publishing. 73-94.
- Epitropaki, O., Martin, R. & Thomas, G. (2017). Relational Leadership. In The Nature of Leadership. Antonakis, J. & Day, D. V. SAGE. 109-137.
- Epitropaki, O. & Mainemelis, C. (2016). The “genre-bender” The creative leadership of Kathryn Bigelow. In Leadership Lessons from Compelling Contexts. Peus, C., Braun, S. & Schyns, B. Bingley: Emerald. 8: 275-300.
- Epitropaki, O. & Martin, R. (2015). LMX and work attitudes: is there anything left unsaid or unexamined?. In The Oxford Handbook of Leader-Member Exchange. Bauer, T. & Erdogan, B. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 139-156.
- Mainemelis, C. & Epitropaki, O. (2013). Extreme leadership as creative leadership: Reflections on Francis Ford Coppola in The Godfather. In Extreme Leadership: Leaders, teams and situations outside the norm. Giannantonio, C.M. & Hurley-Hanson, A.E. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing. 187-200.
- Epitropaki, O. (2011). Leadership in crisis. In Management in times of crisis. Epitropaki, O., Kyriakopoulos, K. & Zarkos, S. Athens: Kastaniotis (in Greek). 127-136.
- Epitropaki, O. (2007). Diversity management practices in Greece. In Women in Business. Vakola, M. & Apospori, E. Athens: Sideris (in Greek). 265-291.
- Epitropaki, O. (2007). Leadership and competitiveness. In Publication sponsored by the Greek Chief Executive Officers’. Association and the Ministry of Development (in Greek).
- van Dick, R., Lemoine, J.E., Steffens, N.K., Kerschreiter, R., Akfirat, S., Avanzi, L., Dumont, K., Epitropaki, O., Fransen, K., Giessner, S., Gonzales, R., Kark, R., Lipponen, J., Markovits, Y., Monzani, L., Orosz, G., Pandey, D., Roland-Lévy, C., Schuh, S., Sekiguchi, T., Jiwen Song, L., Stouten, J., Tatachari, S., Valdenegro, D., van Bunderen, L., Vörös, V., Wong, S., Zhang, X. & Haslam, A.S. (2018). Identity Leadership Going Global: Validation of the Identity Leadership Inventory (ILI) across 20 Countries. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology
- Foti, R. J., Hansbrough, T. K., Epitropaki, O. & Coyle, P. T. (2017). Dynamic Viewpoints on Implicit Leadership and Followership Theories: Approaches, Findings, and Future Directions. The Leadership Quarterly 28(2): 261-267.
- Bozionelos, N., Kostopoulos, K., Van der Heijden, B., Rousseau, D. M., Bozionelos, G., Hoyland, T., Miao, R., Marzec, I., Jędrzejowicz, P., Epitropaki, O., Mikkelsen, A., Scholarios, D. & Van der Heijde, C. (2016). Employability and Job Performance as Links in the Relationship Between Mentoring Receipt and Career Success: A Study in SMEs. Group & Organization Management 41(2): 135-171.
- Voliotis, S., Vlachos, P. & Epitropaki, O. (2016). Perception-induced effects of Corporate Social Irresponsibility (CSiR) for Stereotypical and Admired Firms. Frontiers in Psychology 7: 970.
- Epitropaki, O. (2013). A multi-level investigation of psychological contract breach and organizational identification through the lens of perceived organizational membership: Testing a moderated-mediated model. Journal of Organizational Behavior 34(1): 65-86.
- Vlachos, P., Epitropaki, O., Panagopoulos, N. & Rapp, A. (2013). Causal Attributions and Employee Reactions to Corporate Social Responsibility. Industrial and Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice 6(4): 334-337.
- Epitropaki, O., Sy, T., Martin, R., Tram-Quon, S. & Topakas. A. (2013). Implicit Leadership and Followership Theories “in the wild” Taking stock of information-processing approaches to leadership and followership in organizational settings. The Leadership Quarterly 24(6): 858-881.
- Thomas, G., Martin, R., Epitropaki, O., Guillaume, Y. & Lee, A. (2013). Social cognition in leader-follower relationships: Applying insights from relationship science to understanding relationship-based approaches to leadership. Journal of Organizational Behavior 34: S63-S81.
- Epitropaki, O. & Martin, R. (2013). Transformational-transactional leadership and upward influence: The role of Relative Leader-Member Exchanges (RLMX) and Perceived Organizational Support (POS). The Leadership Quarterly 24(2): 299-315.
- Martin, R., Epitropaki, O., Geoff, T. & Topakas, A. (2010). A review of Leader-Member Exchange (LMX) research: Future prospects and directions. International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology 25: 35-88.
- Van der Heijden, Beatrice I. J. M., Scholarios, Dora, Van der Schoot, Esther, Jedrzejowicz, Piotr Bozionelos, Nikos, Epitropaki, Olga, Knauth, Peter Marzec, Izabela Mikkelsen, Aslaug Van der Heijde, Claudia & The Indicator Study Group (2010). Supervisor-subordinate age dissimilarity and performance ratings: The buffering effects of supervisory relationship and practice. International Journal of Aging & Human Development 71(3): 231-258.
- Marzec, I., Van der Heijden, B. I. J. M., Scholarios, D., Van der Schoot, E., Jędrzejowicz, P., Bozionelos, N., Epitropaki, O., Knauth, P., Mikkelsen, A. & Van der Heijde, C. (2009). Employability management practices in the Polish ICT sector. Human Resource Development International 12(5): 471-492.
- Scholarios, D., van der Heijden, B., van der Schoot, E., Bozionelos, N., Epitropaki, O., Jedrzejowicz, P., Knauth, P., Marzec, I., Mikkelsen, A. & van der Heijde, C. (2008). Employability and the psychological contract in European ICT sector SMEs. International Journal of Human Resource Management 19(6): 1035-1055.
- Hogg, M.A., Martin, R., Epitropaki, O., Mankad, A., Svensson, A. & Weeden, K. (2005). Effective leadership in salient groups: Revisiting leader-member exchange theory from the perspective of the social identity theory of leadership. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 31(7): 991-1004.
- Epitropaki, O. & Martin, R. (2005). From ideal to real: A longitudinal study of Implicit Leadership Theories, Leader-Member Exchanges and employee outcomes. Paper reprinted in the “Benchmarks of Leadership” series by SAGE in the “Psychology of Leadership” volume edited by Alexander Haslam & Stephen D. Reicher. Journal of Applied Psychology 90(4): 659-676
- Epitropaki, O. & Martin, R. (2005). The moderating role of individual differences in the relation between transformational/transactional leadership and organizational identification. The Leadership Quarterly 16: 569-589.
- Martin, R., Thomas, G., Charles, K., Epitropaki, O. & McNamara, R. (2005). The role of Leader-Member Exchanges in mediating the relationship between locus of control and work reactions. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 78: 141-146.
- Totterdell, P., Wall, T., Diamond, H., Holman, D. & Epitropaki, O. (2004). Affect networks: A structural analysis of the relationship between work ties and job-related affect. Journal of Applied Psychology 89(5): 854-867.
- Epitropaki, O. & Martin, R. (2004). Implicit Leadership Theories in Applied Settings: Factor Structure, Generalizability and Stability Over Time. Journal of Applied Psychology 89(2): 293-310.
- Epitropaki, O. (2003). Transformational leadership, psychological contract breach and organizational identification. Academy of Management Conference Best Paper Proceedings, OB: M1-M6
- Clegg, C., Unsworth, K., Epitropaki, O. & Parker, G. (2002). Implicating trust in the innovation process. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 75: 409-422.
- Turner, N., Barling, J., Epitropaki, O., Butcher, V. & Milner, C. (2002). Transformational leadership and moral reasoning. Journal of Applied Psychology 87: 304-311.
- Martin, R. & Epitropaki, O. (2001). Role of organizational identification on Implicit Leadership Theories (ILTs), Transformational leadership and work attitudes. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations 4: 247-262.
- Holman, D., Epitropaki, O. & Fernie, S. (2001). Understanding learning strategies in the workplace: A factor analytic investigation. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 74: 675-681.
- Holman, D., Epitropaki, O. & Fernie, S. (2000). Learning strategies, innovation and work design. Academy of Management Conference Best Paper Proceedings, OB: A1-A6
- Epitropaki, O. & Martin, R. (1999). The impact of relational demography on the quality of leader-member exchanges (LMX) and employees’ work attitudes and well being. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 72: 237-240.