Dr Sardar Jaf, PhD, MSc, BSc, FHEA
(email at email@example.com)
Dr. Sardar is a Teaching Fellow in the department of Computer Science. Prior to joining the University of Durham, he worked as a Teaching Assistant at the University of Manchester and Edge Hill University. He received his PhD from the University of Manchester, and MSc and BSc(Hons) in Computer Science from Northumbria University.
His research interest is in a range of Computer Science subjects, particularly Natural Language Processing, Computer Networks, Network Security, Machine Learning, Big Data and Data Science. He is also interested in pedagogical research. Other research areas of interest to him include social computing and Internet of things. He has presented several papers in a number of national and international conferences and reviewed several conference and journal papers.
Beside programming and research, Sardar enjoys reading, translation, football, gym, travelling, and socialising.
Department of Computer Science
- Natural Language Processing
- Natural Language Processing for Learning and Teaching
- Big Data
- Computing and Education
- Computer Networks
- Sentiment Analysis
- Machine Learning
Chapter in book
- Jaf, Sardar & Ramsay, Allan (2016). A Hybrid Approach to Parsing Natural Languages. In Human Language Technology. Challenges for Computer Science and Linguistics: 6th Language and Technology Conference, LTC 2013, Poznań, Poland, December 7-9, 2013. Revised Selected Papers. Vetulani, Zygmunt, Uszkoreit, Hans & Kubis, Marek Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. 136-145.
- Jaf, Sardar & Ramsay, Allan (2016). A Rule-Based Part-of-Speech Tagger for Sorani Kurdish. In Input a Word, Analyze the World: Selected Approaches to Corpus Linguistics. Almeida, Francisco Alonso, Barrera, Ivalla Ortega, Toledo, Elena Quintana & Cuervo, Margarita E. Sanchez Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 39-48.
- Gajbhiye, Amit, Jaf, Sardar, Al-Moubayed, Noura, McGough, A. Stephen & Bradley, Steven (2018), An Exploration of Dropout with RNNs for Natural Language Inference, in Kurková, V., Manolopoulos, Yannis, Hammer, Barbara, Iliadis, Lazaros S. & Maglogiannis, Ilias G. eds, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 11141 ICANN 2018: 27th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks. Rhodes, Springer, Cham, 157-167.
- Gajbhiye, Amit, Jaf, Sardar, Al-Moubayed, Noura, Bradley, Steven & McGough, A. Stephen (2018), CAM: A Combined Attention Model for Natural Language Inference, in Abe, Naoki Liu, Huan Pu, Calton Hu, Xiaohua Ahmed, Nesreen Qiao, Mu Song, Yang Kossmann, Donald Liu, Bing Lee, Kisung Tang, Jiliang He, Jingrui & Saltz, Jeffrey eds, IEEE International Conference on BIG DATA. Seattle, United States of America, IEEE, Piscataway, N.J., 1009-1014.
- Jaf, Sardar (2017), A Semi-automatic Approach to Identifying and Unifying Ambiguously Encoded Arabic-Based Characters, in Dong, Minghui, Tseng, Yuen-Hsien, Lu, Yanfeng, Yu, Liang-Chih, Lee, Lung-Hao, Wu, Chung-Hsien & Li, Haizhou eds, The 20th International Conference on Asian Language Processing. Tainan, Taiwan, IEEE, Los Alamitos, 228-231.
- Alabbas, Maytham, Khudeyer, Raidah & Jaf, Sardar (2017), Improved Arabic Characters Recognition by Combining Multiple Machine Learning Classifiers, in Dong, Minghui, Tseng, Yuen-Hsien, Lu, Yanfeng, Yu, Liang-Chih, Lee, Lung-Hao, Wu, Chung-Hsien & Li, Haizhou eds, The 20th International Conference on Asian Language Processing. Tainan, Taiwan, IEEE, Los Alamitos, 262-265.
- Alabass, Maytham, Jaf, Sardar & Abdullah, Abdul-Hussein M. (2017), Optimize BpNN using new breeder genetic algorithm, in Hassanien, Aboul Ella, Shaalan, Khaled, Gaber, Tarek, Azar, Ahmad Taher & Tolba, Mohamed F. eds, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 533 2nd International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Systems and Informatics (AISI2016). Cairo, Egypt, Springer, Cham, Switzerland, 373-382.
- Jaf, Sardar (2016), A Simple Approach to Unify Ambiguously Encoded Kurdish Characters, Second International Conference of Computational Linguistics in Bulgaria. Sofia, Bulgaria, Institute for Bulgarian Language, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, 86-94.
- Jaf, Sardar & Ramsay, Allan (2015), Deterministic Choices in a Data-driven Parser, in Sharp, Bernadette, Lubaszewski, Wieslaw & Delmonte, Rodolfo eds, The 12th International Workshop on Natural Language Processing and Cognitive Science. Krakow, Poland, Libreria Editrice Cafoscarina, 95-103.
- Jaf, Sardar & Ramsay, Allan (2015), The Application of Constraint Rules to Data-driven Parsing, in Angelova, G., Bontcheva, K. & Mitkov, R. eds, 35: The 2015 International Conference on Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing. Hissar, Bulgaria, Incoma Ltd. Shoumen, Bulgaria, Hissar, Bulgaria, 232-238.
- Jaf, Sardar & Ramsay, Allan (2015), The Selection of Classifiers for a Data-driven Parser, in Sharp, Bernadette, Lubaszewski, Wieslaw & Delmonte, Rodolfo eds, The 12th International Workshop on Natural Language Processing and Cognitive Science. Krakow, Poland, Libreria Editrice Cafoscarina, 39-49.
- Sardar Jaf & Allan Ramsay (2014), A Stemmer and a POS tagger for Sorani Kurdish, 6th International Conference on Corpus Linguistics (CILC-14). Gran Canaria, Spain, Cambridge Scholars.
- Sardar, Jaf & Allan, Ramsay (2013), Parser Hybridisation for Natural Languages, 6th Language and Technology Conference (LTC'2013): Human Language Technologies as a Challenge for Computer Science and Linguistics. Poznan, Poland, Springer, 531-535.
- Sardar, Jaf & Allan, Ramsay (2013), Towards the Development of a Hybrid Parser for Natural Languages, in Jones, Andrew V. & Ng, Nicholas eds, OpenAccess Series in Informatics (OASIcs) 35: 2013 Imperial College Computing Student Workshop. London, United Kingdom, Schloss Dagstuhl-Leibniz-Zentrum fuer Informatik, 49-56.
- Ghafir, Ibrahim, Prenosil, Vaclav, Hammoudeh, Mohammad, Baker, Thar, Jabbar, Sohail, Khalid, Shehzad & Jaf, Sardar (2018). BotDet: A System for Real Time Botnet Command and Control Traffic Detection. IEEE Access 6: 38947-38958.
- Alabbas, Maytham, Jaf, Sardar & Khudeyer, S., Raidah (2018). Combining Machine Learning Classifiers for the Task of Arabic Characters Recognition. The International Journal of Asian Language Processing (IJALP) 28(1): 1-12.
- Ghafir, Ibrahim, Saleem, Jibran, Hammoudeh, Mohammad, Faour, Hanan, Prenosil, Vaclav, Jaf, Sardar, Jabbar,Sohail & Baker, Thar (2018). Security Threats to Critical Infrastructure: The Human Factor. The Journal of Supercomputing 74(10): 4986-5002.