Miss Angela Gill
Angela worked in Primary Education for more than 20 years, in County Durham and Bath & North East Somerset, before joining the School of Education in 2016. She has a BEd, and whilst working as a primary teacher has been subject leader of phonics, school library provision and the English curriculum.
Angela is an Assistant Professor (Teaching) and works as part of the Primary English team, teaching on both the BA and PGCE Primary Education courses. She is module convenor of BA English for Primary Teaching 2. She supports student in their academic writing through her roles in the PGCE SDS module and as an Academic Advisor for both BA and PGCE students. Angela has recently worked with colleagues from the Foundation Centre and English Language Centre, engaging with the FOCUS corpus (an online data driven learning tool) and developing bespoke, online academic writing support for PGCE students.
Angela has a particular interest in phonics and early reading, and in engaging students in assessment feedback. She is currently studying for her MA.
- Primary English
- Phonics and Early Reading
- Supporting students in academic writing
- Engaging students in assessment feedback
- Gill, A. & Waugh, D. (2017). Phonics: Getting it Right in a Week. Northwich: Critical Publishing.
- Jolliffe, W., Waugh, D. & Carss, A. (2016). Teaching Systematic Synthetic Phonics in Primary Schools (Transforming Primary QTS Series)(2nd Revised Edition). Learning Matters.
Chapter in book
- Gill, A. & Waugh, D. (2017). Phonics and Reading. In Looking After Literacy. Walker-Gleaves, C. & Waugh, D. London: Sage.
- Gill, A. (2017). Writing in Geography. In Inviting Writing. Bushnell. A. & Waugh, D. London: Sage.
- Waugh, D. & Gill, A. (2016). Learning to Spell Tricky Words at KS2. Teach Reading and Writing
- Gill, A. & Waugh, D. (2016). Teaching Common Exception Words in KS1 – Is It Really That Tricky? Teach Primary