Mr Yazid Haroun
In Durham, a place amongst many that awards thinking the status of intellectuality, I studied an MA degree in Arabic/English Translation and Interpreting, immediately after I was awarded a BA in Linguistics at Constantine University, Algeria. Shortly after completing my MA, I decided to pursue my strong commitment to intellectual seriousness, thus I opted to undertake a PhD research in Translation Studies.
As part of my PhD project, I examine the concept of ideology and aim to explore the potential of Althusser’s theory as applied to 21st century English Quran translations to identify the mechanisms that are used by social forces to encourage consent in society, and translation’s role in the constitution of new ideologies situated within the dynamic of power struggles between competing social forces.
Conference Papers and Selected Talks
- Ideology, Interpellation and the Question of the Subject, in The 4th Asia-Pacific Forum on Translation and Intercultural Studies, October 2015 (University of Durham, England).
- Thus Spake Interpellation, in the 4th Durham Postgraduate Colloquium in Translation Studies, May 2016 (University of Durham, England).
- Ideology and Translation, in the Institute of Advanced Studies, June 2016 (University of Durham, England).
- On the Reproduction of English Quran Translators, in The EST Congress, September 2016 (University of Aarhus, Denmark).
- Ideological Bias in Quran Translation, 2014 (Talk).
- Translation and the Ideological State Apparatuses, 2015 (Talk).
- The Fourth Durham Postgraduate Colloquium in Translation Studies, 30th April - 1st May 2016 (University of Durham, England).
- Forthcoming: The Fifth Durham Postgraduate Colloquium in Translation Studies, 11-12 February 2017 (University of Durham, England).
Private Arabic Tutor
Summer School, Durham University, July 2016.
- The concept of Ideology
- Ideology and the State
- Comparative Literature
- Critical Discourse Analysis
- English-Arabic Specialised Translation
- Ideology and Power in Translation
- The Sociology of Translation