Dr Erik Niblaeus
Erik Niblaeus’s main area of interest is the history of the church in German-speaking Europe and Scandinavia in the central middle ages, with a focus on the ‘secular’ church (priests rather than monks). His doctoral research, which is currently in the final stages of being prepared for publication in monograph form, was on the German contribution to the Christianisation of Scandinavia. He studied at Cambridge and King’s College London, and has pursued post-doctoral research at the universities of Erlangen-Nuremberg and Cambridge. Recently, his research has focussed on parish priests and the development of parishes in central-medieval Germany.
Department of History
- Britain and Continental Europe
- Political Cultures
- Theology and Religion
- Transnational History
- Conversion and Christianisation
- Manuscripts and Liturgy
- Medieval Germany
- Medieval Scandinavia
- Political and Religious Ritual
Chapter in book
- Niblaeus, Erik (2014). Arguing Divination by the Book: The Latin Fathers and Scriptural Categories of Foretelling. In Dialogues among Books in Medieval Western Magic and Divination. Rapisardo, Stefan & Niblaeus, Erik SISMEL - Edizioni del Galluzzo. 65: 33 - 47.
- Niblaeus, Erik (2013). ‘De äldsta bibelfragmenten i Riksarkivet’ (= ‘The Oldest Bible Fragments in the Swedish National Archives’). In Fragment ur arkiven: Festskrift till Jan Brunius. Stockholm.
- Niblaeus, Erik (2013). Cistercian Charters and the Import of a Political Culture into Medieval Sweden. In Problems and Possibilities of Early Medieval Charters. Jarrett, Jonathan & McKinley, Allan Scott Turnhout: Brepols. 19: 57-70.
- Niblaeus, Erik (2010). Learning to Write in Southern Sweden: Liturgical Fragments and the Creation of a Culture of the Book. In Teaching Writing, Learning to Write: Proceedings of the XVIth Colloquium of the Comité international de paléographie latine. Robinson, P. R. London. 22: 146–154.
- Rapisarda, Stefano & Niblaeus, Erik (2014). Dialogues among Books in Medieval Western Magic and Divination. Micrologus' Library 65. SISMEL - Edizioni del Galluzzo.
- Niblaeus, Erik (2009). Christian Life in Twelfth-Century Scandinavia: A Comparative Approach. Storica 40 : 33–64.
- Niblaeus, Erik (2008). The German Affiliations of the Cathedral of Lund under Archbishop Asser (1089–1137). Quaestio Insularis 9: 94–112.