Dr Alexander Burdumy
Before my appointment at Durham I worked for the University of Essex in Colchester as Languages for All Coordinator, at Aston University in Birmingham as DAAD Lektor and as a Teaching Assistant at the University of Greenwich.
I completed my undergraduate studies in Languages and Political Studies at the Universität Mannheim in Germany in 2007 (Erstes Staatsexamen) and moved on to complete a PhD as a part-time student in the area of German History/Politics at Aston University in 2012.
At Durham I currently teach several German language modules for the Centre of Foreign Language Studies/department as well as German Reading Skills for Research for MA and PhD students.
- Burdumy, Alexander (2013). Sozialpolitik und Repression in der DDR: Ost-Berlin 1971-1989. Klartext Verlag.
- Burdumy, Alexander (2017), Supporting Language Learners through Phonetics Tutorials. The case of German Phonetics at the Centre for Foreign Language Studies, Durham University, 18th AULC (Association of University Language Centres) Conference. Belfast, UK.
- Bohlander, Christine & Burdumy, Alexander (2015), German Reading Skills for Research, Language for Specific Purposes in Higher Education Conference. Manchester, UK.
- Burdumy, Alexander (2013), How to offer language learning to all your students, Language E-Learning Conference. Nottingham, UK, Nottingham.
- Burdumy, Alexander (2011), Reconsidering the role of welfare state policy in the former GDR, German Politics Specialist Group of the Political Studies Assocation's Annual Workshop. University of Westminster, London, University of Westminster.
- Burdumy, Alexander (2018). Book Review: Poverty and Welfare in Modern German History. History: Reviews of New Books 46(2): 48.
- Bohlander, Christine & Burdumy, Alexander (2018). Designing and delivering a programme of reading skills classes to postgraduate students. Journal of Teaching English for Specific and Academic Purposes 6(2): 245-252.
- Burdumy, Alexander (2013). Reconsidering the role of the welfare state within the former German Democratic Republic's political system. Journal of Contemporary History 48(4): 872-889.