Professor Janet Stewart, MA, PhD (Glasgow)
Janet Stewart took up the post of Professor of Visual Culture and German in 2014 and upon appointment became the founding Director of the Centre for Visual Arts and Culture.
From 2015 - 2018, she served as Head of School of Modern Languages and Cultures.
Professor Stewart holds a Ph.D in German and Sociology from the University of Glasgow. In 1995, she was awarded a Junior Fellowship at the International Research Centre for Cultural Sciences in Vienna and in 1997-1998 she held a Leverhulme Trust Study Abroad Studentship at the Karl-Eberhardts-Universität Tübingen. Between 1998 and 2013, she was Lecturer and, latterly, Senior Lecturer in German and Film & Visual Culture at the University of Aberdeen, where she founded a Masters programme in Visual Culture.
Professor Stewart is the author of two monographs, Fashioning Vienna: Adolf Loos’s Cultural Criticism (2000) and Public Speaking in the City (2009) and has published widely on Austrian and German literature and visual culture, cultural sociology and urban history.
Her current research project develops her interests in modernity and visual culture in a new context, connecting them to the study of energy and, more specifically, petroleum. She is working on a research monograph, ‘Curating Europe’s Oil’, which explores the role that oil plays in twenty-first century cultural memory, and writes a related blog on Energy and Culture. She is also co-editing, with Graeme MacDonald (Warwick) a Routledge Handbook of Energy Humanities.
In 2012, she curated an international exhibition on ‘OilScapes’ at Peacock Visual Arts in Aberdeen, on whose curatorial board she served from 2006-2012. She also served on the Advisory Board of ‘Capturing the Energy’, a multi-partner initiative to document Scotland’s energy history, and is an associate member of the ‘Petrocultures’ Research Group' at the University of Alberta, Edmonton.
Together with Graeme MacDonald (Warwick) and Rhys Williams (Glasgow), she organised the Third International Petrocultures Conference which took place at the University of Glasgow in 2018. She was also the co-organiser of a workshop on 'Decarbonized Futures' that took place at the Lorentz Centre, Leiden in 2017.
She is currently part of an international collaborative research project funded by the Swedish Reserach Council investigating Climate Imaginaries.
Durham Energy Institute
Indicators of Esteem
- 2019: Editor of German Life and Letters:
- 2014: Member of AHRC Peer Review College (2012 - present):
- 2014: Member of the Advisory Board for the Austrian Studies Yearbook, published by W. S. Maney under the aegis of the MHRA (since 2001):
- 2014: Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Austrian Studies (US) (2012-2015):
- 2005: Secretary and Treasurer of the Scottish Conference of University Teachers of German (SCUTG) [Feb 2002 - May 2005):
- Petrocultures Research Group (2016). After Oil. Morgantown, WV: West Virginia University Press.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2009). Public Speaking in the City: Debating and Shaping the Urban Experience. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2000). Fashioning Vienna: Adolf Loos's Cultural Criticism. Routledge.
Chapter in book
- Stewart, Janet C. (2017). Resource Curse. In Fueling Culture: 101 Words for Energy and Environment. Szeman, I., Wenzel, J. & Yaeger, P. Fordham University Press. 285-288.
- Stewart, Janet (2016). Visual Culture Studies and Cultural Sociology: Extractive Seeing. In The Sage Handbook of Cultural Sociology. Inglis, David & Almali, Anna-Mari London: Sage. 322-334.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2006). Conflict, Compromise and Resistance: Popular Culture in Austria, 1918-1945. In History of Austrian Literature 1918-1945. Robertson, Ritchie & Kohl, Katrin Rochester: Camden House. 87-106.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2006). Exhibiting and Communicating Berlin around 1900. In Imagining the City, Volume Two: The Politics of Urban Space. Midgley, David, Emden, Christian & Keen, Catherine Oxford: Peter Lang. 8: 193-215.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2005). Connecting and Locating Culture. In Blueprints for No-Man's Land. Connections in Contemporary Austrian Culture. Stewart, Janet C. & Ward, Simon Oxford, Bern, Berlin, Bruxelles, Frankfurt am Main, New York, Wien: Peter Lang. 9-28.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2005). Reconstructing the Centre: Sociology and Architecture in the New Berlin. In The Sociology of Art. Inglis, David & Hughson, John Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. 183-212.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2004). A Taste of Vienna: food as a signifier of urban modernity in Vienna 1890–1930. In The City and the Senses: Urban Culture Since 1500. Cowan, Alexander & Steward, Jill Ashgate Publishing Company.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2003). Raum und Raumwahrnehmung in den dramatischen Werken Arthur Schnitzlers. In Arthur Schnitzler im zwanzigsten Jahrhundert. Fliedl, Konstanze Vienna: Picus Verlag. 105-119.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2002). The Kunsthaus Tacheles: The Berlin Architecture Debate in Micro-Historical Context. In Recasting German Identity: Culture, Politics and Literature in the Berlin Republic. Taberner, Stuart & Finlay, Frank Camden House.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2002). The World of the Waltz. Dance and Non-Contemporaneity in Schnitzler's Texts. In Arthur Schnitzler: Zeitgenossenschaften/Contemporaneities. Krobb, Florian & Foster, Ian Bern, Berlin, Bruxelles, Frankfurt/M., New York, Oxford, Wien: Peter Lang.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2002). The Written City. Literary Representations of Vienna at the Turn of the Centuries. In Literature in Vienna at the Turn of the Centuries. Continuities and Discontinuities Around 1900 and 2000. Grabovszki, Ernst & Hardin, James Camden House. 27-49.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2010), Flows of Capital Between Energy Cities - paper presented at the World Energy Cities Partnership Conference held in Perth, Australia, World Energy Cities Partnership Conference. Perth, Australia, Perth.
- Stewart, Janet C. & Ward, Simon (2005). Blueprints for No-Man's Land: Connections in Contemporary Austrian Culture. Britische und Irische Studien zur deutschen Sprache und Literatur / British and Irish Studies in German Language and Literature. Oxford, Bern, Berlin, Bruxelles, Frankfurt am Main, New York, Wien: Peter Lang.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2014). Sociology, Culture and Energy: The Case of Wilhelm Ostwald's 'Sociological Energetics' - A Translation and Exposition of a Classic Text. Cultural Sociology 8(3): 333-350.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2013). Filming Vienna 1900: The Poetics of Cinema and the Politics of Ornament in Raúl Ruiz's Klimt. Journal of Austrian Studies 46(2): 49-79.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2013). Making Globalization Visible?: The Oil Assemblage, the Work of Sociology and the Work of Art. Cultural Sociology 7: 368-384.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2007). 'Breaking the Power of the Past over the Present': Psychology, Utopianism, and the Frankfurt School. Utopian Studies 18(1): 21-42.
- Stewart, Janet C. (2002). 'Nicht die Kunst darf sich vereinnahmen lassen': Franzobel, Literature and Politics in the 'New Austria'. German Life and Letters 55(2): 219-233.
- Stewart, Janet C. (1999). 'Georg Simmel at the Lectern'. Body & Society 5(4): 1-16.
- Stewart, Janet C. (1998). 'Talking of Modernity: The Viennese Vortrag as Form'. German Life and Letters 51(4): 455-469.
- 2018: Narrating socio-cultural transitions to a post-fossil society. Climaginaries is a project funded by the Swedish research council Formas. Researchers from Utrecht University, Warwick University and Durham University collaborate with researchers from Lund U
- 2013: Carnegie Trust Grant to undertake archival work in Vienna (£910)
- 2011: British Academy Small Research Grant to undertake archival work in Berlin ('The Energetic Imperative: Wilhelm Ostwald's Contribution to the Sociology of Energy') (£1400)
- 2010: AHRC Beyond Text Student Initiative. Funding for conference on 'The Forgotten Voices of the Avant-Garde [Supervisor]
- 2009: University of Aberdeen College of Arts & Social Sciences Research Project Award for 'Translating Cultures' (Eight 3-year PhD studentships over two years) (£60,000)
- 2008: AHRC Beyond Text Student Initiative. Funding for conference on 'Resistance and Complicity' and for associated online journal [Supervisor]
- 2004: British Academy Small Research Grant to undertake archival work in Vienna and Berlin and secure illustrations (£1900)
- 2003: Austrian Cultural Institute funding for Continuities and Discontinuities in Austrian Culture Conference (£12000)
- 2003: Carnegie Research Grant to undertake archival work in Berlin (£1700)