Mrs Agnès Bastien-Langham, FHEA, Licence LCE in English (Paris), BA (Hons) in MFL, MA Education, PgCert
I studied English at La Sorbonne Nouvelle (Paris) and continued my studies in the UK where I graduated with a BA (Hons) in French and German and a PGCE in Modern Foreign Languages (Sunderland University). I then completed an MA Education (Advanced Professional Practice - Secondary) at Sunderland University and am now working towards further qualifications in teaching French as a foreign language accredited by CIEP (Centre International d’Études Pédagogiques).
From 2000 till 2013 I taught French and German in a number of local secondary schools (mainly in Sunderland and Durham).
Since 2013 I have been an Assistant Teaching Fellow in French in the CFLS (Centre for Foreign Language Study) at Durham University. I have taught various credit-bearing modules (from A1 to B1 level) and for the last two years I have been the module co-ordinator for intermediate learners (A2 level).
I am particularly interested in helping learners of French to develop effective language-learning techniques. Since 2016, my scholarship focuses on the introduction of phonetics-based activities in my modules. This led in 2017 to a collaborative project with a colleague in German (CFLS) which was recognised and supported by an ESLE award in 2018 (Enhancing the Student Learning Experience award).
Grants and Awards
- 2018 Enhancing the Student Learning Experience award
Professional Memberships and Qualifications
- PgCert in Academic Practice (Durham University)
- DELF-DALF examiner since 2017
- PROFLE+: Professionnalisation en FLE (Module 2- Construire une unité didactique) (CIEP)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (Durham University)
- MA Education (Advanced Professional Practice- Secondary) (Sunderland University)
- QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) in Modern Foreign Languages (Sunderland University)
- PGCE in Modern Foreign Languages (Sunderland University)
- Introducing pronunciation to consolidate speaking, reading and listening skills
- Using oral and written feedback
- Using blogs to develop students' writing skills
- Independent learning
- 2017 "From seeing French to speaking French" presentated during the UK Lingua 2017 conference at Durham University, UK.
- 2016 "Using blogs in the teaching of French grammar" presentated during the UK Lingua 2016 conference at Durham University, UK.
- CFLS1F21 French stage 2
- MLAN 1411 French stage 1
- MLAS 1061 French stage 1
- MLAS 1051 French stage 2
- MLAN 1361 French stage 3