Dr Michele Fontefrancesco
I am a social anthropologist specialised in Economic Anthropology and Folklore studies. My research focus is on the intersection of folklore studies, history, and economic anthropology. My research focuses on aspects of local tangible and intangible heritages and their exploitation in the past decades, with a particular interest in themes such as public rhetoric and policy, public ritual, crafts, industrialization, and emplacement. My research was primarily conducted in Italy, although I have experience of research also in the UK.
Other research interests involve medical anthropology, political economy and political anthropology, in particular themes such as citizenship, political engagement and access to and organization of public services.
I received my Laurea (BA in History, Summa cum Laude), and my Laurea Specialistica (MA in Italian Language and Culture, Summa Cum Laude) at Università del Piemonte Orientale. There, I explored the subject of folk revival, traditional ritual and local development in North-Western Italy. I completed my doctoral studies in Social Anthropology at Durham University under the supervision of Matei Candea and Ben Campbell. My doctoral thesis focused on the effects of global economic crisis on Italian industry and crafts.
At the moment I am working mainly in Italy, at University of Gastronomic Sciences and University of Turin.
- Economic Anthropology
- Folklore Studies
- Medical Anthropology
- Political Anthropology
- Political Economy
- Fontefrancesco, M. & Ranzato, E. (2012). Foto e memoria di un paese di collina: l'archivio fotografico dell'Associazione San Giacomo di Lu. Lu: Associazione San Giacomo.
- Fontefrancesco, M. & Schneider, M. (2008). Maschera della Donna, Feminine masks in Traditional Carnivals in Piedmont. Fredericksburg, VA: Department of Modern Foreign Languages Studies.
- Fontefrancesco, M. (2012). Anthropological District: Notes for an anthropological study of the industrial districts. Antrocom 8(2): 411-419.
- Fontefrancesco, M. (2012). Crafting the local: GIs, jewelry, and transformations in Valenza, Italy. Social Analysis 56(3): 89.
- Fontefrancesco, M. (2012). Oro ed identità identità locale e processi di esclusione a Valenza (AL). Intersticios 6(1): 403-415.
- Fontefrancesco, M. (2012). The Spectacle of the Crisis: Local Perception of Economic and Social Change in Valenza. Issues in Ethnology and Anthropology 7(1): 65-83.
- Fontefrancesco, M. (2012). Thirty years of Multiculturalism and Anthropology. Anthropological Notebooks 18(3): 59-62.
- Fontefrancesco, M. (2011). City of goldsmiths: Economy, local identity and rhetoric in Valenza, Italy. Anthropological Notebooks 16(1): 29-51.
- Fontefrancesco, M. (2011). To be a Valenzano: When jewellery production is local identity. Antrocom 7(2): 225-233.