Dr Ben Alderson-Day
I joined the department as a Postdoctoral Research Associate in November 2012. Prior to this I completed my PhD in Psychology at the University of Edinburgh, and worked as a Research Co-ordinator for Lime Trees Child & Adolescent Mental Health team in the NHS in York.
Since 2012 I have been a member of Hearing the Voice, an interdisciplinary research project on auditory verbal hallucinations (or voice-hearing) funded by the Wellcome Trust. In 2015 I became a co-investigator for the project, which will finish in 2020.
I am interested in inner speech and the interactions between cognition and language in typical and atypical development. My work has included research on executive function and categorisation in autism spectrum disorders, semantic and problem-solving skills in deafness, and hallucination experiences in clinical and non-clinical populations.
Reviewing & Editing
Ad-Hoc Reviewing: Autism Research, Biological Psychiatry, British Journal of Psychiatry, Cognitive Development, Cognitive Science, Cognitive Neuropsychiatry, Consciousness & Cognition, Early Childhood Research Quarterly, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, Human Brain Mapping, Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, Journal of Behavior Therapy & Experimental Psychiatry, Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, Journal of Psychiatric Research, Lancet Psychiatry, Neuroimage: Clinical, Neuroscience of Consciousness, Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, Psychological Medicine, Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, Research in Developmental Disabilites, Review of Philosophy & Psychology, Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, Schizophrenia Bulletin, Translational Psychiatry
Editing: Guest Editor, Review of Philosophy & Psychology, "Voices and Thoughts in Psychosis" Special Issue.
Department of Psychology
- Developmental Psychopathology
- Voice-hearing and Schizophrenia
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Executive Functioning
Indicators of Esteem
- 2016: International Consortium on Hallucinations Research, North American Satellite Meeting, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL. : Invited speaker. Talk: “Searching for Speech and Language in Voice-Hearers Without Diagnoses”. 27th September 2016
- 2016: Royal College of Psychiatrists, Spirituality and Psychiatry Special Interest Group Conference “Hallucinations and Spiritual Experience: Voices, Visions and Revelation”: Invited speaker. Talk: “Voices and the Etheric: A Research Study of Spiritualist Experience”. 25th November 2016
- 2016: Wellcome Trust Small Arts Award Committee: Scientific Advisor
- 2015: International Consortium on Hallucinations Research, Hearing Voices and Hallucinations: Research, Practice and Recovery, St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne VA. : Invited speaker. Talk: “Inner Speech”. 21st October 2015.
- Alderson-Day, B., Bernini, M. & Fernyhough, C. (2017). Uncharted features and dynamics of reading: Voices, characters, and crossing of experiences. Consciousness and Cognition 49: 98-109.
- Alderson-Day, B., Weis, S., McCarthy-Jones, S., Moseley, P., Smailes, D. & Fernyhough, C. (2016). The brain’s conversation with itself: neural substrates of dialogic inner speech. Social Cognitive & Affective Neuroscience 11(1): 110-120.
- Wilkinson, S. & Alderson-Day, B. (2016). Voices and Thoughts in Psychosis: An Introduction. Review of Philosophy and Psychology 7(3): 529-540.
- Woods, A., Jones, N., Alderson-Day, B., Callard, F. & Fernyhough, C. (2015). Experiences of hearing voices: analysis of a novel phenomenological survey. The Lancet Psychiatry 2(4): 323-331.
- Alderson-Day, B., McCarthy-Jones, S. & Fernyhough, C. (2015). Hearing voices in the resting brain: A review of intrinsic functional connectivity research on auditory verbal hallucinations. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews 55: 78-87.
- Alderson-Day, B. & Fernyhough, C. (2015). Inner speech: Development, cognitive functions, phenomenology, and neurobiology. Psychological Bulletin 141(5): 931-965.
- Alderson-Day, B. & Fernyhough, C. (2015). Relations among questionnaire and experience sampling measures of inner speech: a smartphone app study. Frontiers in Psychology 6: 517.
- Johns, L. C., Kompus, K., Connell, M., Humpston, C., Lincoln, T. M., Longden, E., Preti, A., Alderson-Day, B., Badcock, J. C., Cella, M., Fernyhough, C., McCarthy-Jones, S., Peters, E., Raballo, A., Scott, J., Siddi, S., Sommer, I. & Larøi, F. (2014). Auditory verbal hallucinations in persons with and without a need for care. Schizophrenia Bulletin 40(Suppl 4): S255-S264.
- Kühn, S., Fernyhough, C., Alderson-Day, B. & Hurlburt, R. T. (2014). Inner experience in the scanner: Can high fidelity apprehensions of inner experience be integrated with fMRI?. Frontiers in Psychology 5: 1393.
- Woods, A., Jones, N., Bernini, M., Callard, F., Alderson-Day, B., Badcock, J., Bell,V., Cook, C., Csordas, T., Humpston, C., Krueger, J., Larøi, F., McCarthy-Jones, S., Moseley, P., Powell, H., Raballo, A., Smailes, D. & Fernyhough, C. (2014). Interdisciplinary Approaches to the Phenomenology of Auditory Verbal Hallucinations. Schizophrenia Bulletin 40(Suppl 4): S246-S254.
- Alderson-Day, B. & Fernyhough, C. (2014). More than one voice: Investigating the phenomenological properties of inner speech requires a variety of methods. Commentary on Hurlburt, Heavey and Kelsey (2013), Toward a phenomenology of inner speaking. Consciousness and Cognition 24: 113-114.
- Alderson-Day, B. , McCarthy-Jones, S., Bedford, S., Collins, H., Dunne, H., Rooke, C. & Fernyhough, C. (2014). Shot through with voices: Dissociation mediates the relationship between varieties of inner speech and auditory hallucination proneness. Consciousness and Cognition 27: 288-296.
- Alderson-Day, B. (2014). Verbal Problem-Solving Difficulties in Autism Spectrum Disorders and Atypical Language Development. Autism Research 7(6): 720-730.
- Wright, B, Alderson-Day, B, Prendergast, G, Kennedy, J, Bennett, S, Docherty, M, Whitton, C, Manea, L, Gouws, A, Tomlinson, H & Green, G (2013). Neural correlation of successful cognitive behaviour therapy for spider phobia: A magnetoencephalography study. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging 214(3): 444-451.
- McGonigle-Chalmers, M, Alderson-Day, B, Fleming, J & Monsen, K (2013). Profound Expressive Language Impairment in Low Functioning Children with Autism: An Investigation of Syntactic Awareness Using a Computerised Learning Task. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 43(9): 2062-2081.
- Wright, B., Pearce, H., Allgar, V., Miles, J., Whitton, C., Leon, I., Jardine, J., McCaffrey, N., Smith, R., Holbrook, I., Lewis, J., Goodall, D. & Alderson-Day, B. (2012). A comparison of urinary mercury between children with autism spectrum disorders and control children. PLoS ONE 7(2): e29547.
- Wright, B., Alderson-Day, B., Prendergast, G., Bennett, S., Jordan, J., Whitton, C., Gouws, A., Jones, N., Attur, R., Tomlinson, H. & Green, G. (2012). Gamma activation in young people with autism spectrum disorders and typically-developing controls when viewing emotions on faces. PLoS ONE 7(7): e41326.
- Pillay, M, Alderson-Day, B., Wright, B, Williams, C & Urwin, B (2011). Autism Spectrum Conditions – Enhancing Nurture and Development (ASCEND): An evaluation of intervention support groups for parents. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry 16(1): 5-20.
- Alderson-Day, B & McGonigle-Chalmers, M (2011). Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Category use in problem-solving in children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 41(5): 555-565.
- Wright,B, Sims, D, Smart, S, Alwazeer, A Alderson-Day, B , Allgar, V, Whitton, C, Tomlinson, H Bennett, S, Jardine, J, McCaffrey, N, Leyland, C, Jakeman, C & Miles, J (2011). Melatonin versus placebo in children with autism spectrum conditions and severe sleep problems not amenable to behaviour management strategies: A Randomised Controlled Crossover Trial. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 41(2): 175-184.
- Alderson-Day, B (2011). Verbal problem-solving in autism spectrum disorders: A problem of plan construction?. Autism Research 4(6): 401-411.
- McGonigle-Chalmers, M & Alderson-Day, B (2010). Free classification as a window on executive functioning in autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 40(7): 844-857.
- 2015: Hearing The Voice