Dr Michele Castelli, BA Hons, MA, PhD
(email at email@example.com)
Michele joined Durham University in October 2012 as a Lecturer in International Health Policy and System.
He received an undergraduate degree in Political Sciences at Catholic University of Sacred Heart (Italy) in 2004 and, following the award of his PhD in Healthcare Management at the same University in 2008, he got a postdoctoral position at CRISP (Interuniversity research centre on public services) - University of Milan Bicocca (Italy).
Michele research interest includes international healthcare systems analysis and comparison, analysis of healthcare policy reforms, performance evaluation and quality improvement in healthcare and healthcare services evaluation.
Michele has been involved in several research projects and consultancy activities in areas like hospital performance evaluation and health systems analysis and worked with different external partners in the Italian NHS, local government, international organizations, research centres and other academic institutions.
These various experiences allowed Michele to develop health policy research from different perspectives and with different aims and approaches.
He has also teaching experience, being involved in the delivery of lectures in undergraduate and postgraduate courses and giving lectures on his research topics in academic institutions in Italy and in the UK.
Within the School Michele is a member of the Postgraduate Programmes team, member of the Centre for Public Policy and Health (CPPH) and Research Fellow of the Evaluation and Research Development Unit (ERDU).
He is Programme Coordinator of the School MSc in Public Policy and Global Health and is Module leader of the Comparative Health Systems module in this course.
Michele is available for students supervision in any areas of his research activity.
Evaluation Research Development Unit (ERDU)
- Healthcare systems analysis and comparison
- Analysis of healthcare policy reforms
- Performance evaluation and quality improvement in healthcare
- Evaluation of healthcare services delivery
- Berta, P, Castelli, M, Martini, G, Merlino, L.G., Vittadini, G & Zocchetti, C (2012). Manuale del sistema di valutazione della performance degli ospedali lombardi. Roma, Aracne.
Chapter in book
- Castelli, M & Cicchetti, A (2012). Salute e sussidiarietà nel sistema sanitario italiano. In La sfida del cambiamento. Violini, L & Vittadini, G (a cura di) Bur, Milano.
- Castelli, M & Merlino, L (2010). Il sistema sanitario lombardo. In La valutazione della qualità nel sistema sanitario. Vittadini, G (a cura di) Guerini e Associati, Milano.
- Bevilacqua, L, Castelli, M & Favetti S (2007). Informed consenta s a tool for risk management. In Il rischio clinico: metodologie e strumenti organizzativo-gestionali. Esseditrice.
- Brown, S, Castelli, M, Hunter, DJ, Erskine, J, Vedsted, P, Foot, C & Rubin, G (2014). How might healthcare systems influence speed of cancer diagnosis: a narrative review. Social Science & Medicine 116: 56-63.
- Castelli, M. (2011). La valutazione della qualità nel sistema sanitario: analisi dell’efficacia ospedaliera in Lombardia. Sanità Pubblica e Privata (3).
- Castelli, M (2008). Esperienze internazionali di valutazione della qualità in sanità. il caso statunitense dei National Healthcare Quality e Disparities Report 2006 spunti di interesse per il sistema sanitario italiano. Politiche Sanitarie 9(2).
- Castelli, M (2005). Health care systems comparison: Sweden, USA and no profit organizations in health care. Non Profit 2.
- Castelli, M (2011). OCSE Health at glance 2001: come si colloca la sanità italiana nel contesto internazionale? Aboutpharma (94).
- Castelli, M & Berta, P (2013), Is it possible to improve hospital performance through a quality assessment program? Findings from Lombardy Region Hospitals Evaluation Program, EHMA (European Health Management Association) Annual Conference. Milan, Italy, Milan.
- Castelli, M (2013), Quality improvement and hospital performance: the Lombardy Region experience, HPPN (Health Policy and Politics Network) Conference. Oxford, England, Oxford.
- Erskine, J, Castelli, M, Hunter, D & Small A. (2013), Sustaining long term healthcare quality improvement: lessons from the English National Health Service North East transformation system, ISQUA (International Society for Quality in Healthcare) Annual Conference. Edinburgh, Scotland, Edinburgh.
- Castelli, M & Berta, P (2011), Multidimensional evaluation model of hospital performance in Lombardy Region, EHMA Annual Conference. Porto, Portugal, Porto.
- Castelli, M & Berta, P (2010), Effectiveness evaluation program in Lombardy Region, EHMA Annual Conference. Lahti, Finland, Lahti.
- Castelli, M (2009), Lombardy health care quality system: main results and future development, EHMA Annual Conference. Innsbruck, Austria, Innsbruck.
- Castelli, M & Berta, P (2009), Performance evaluation models and the empirical case study of Lombardy Region, AIES (Italian Health Economics Association) Annual Conference. Bergamo, Italy, Bergamo.
- Castelli, M (2008), Joint Commission accreditation process at Humanitas Clinical Institute of Milan, AIES (Italian Health Economics Association) Annual Conference. Matera, Italy, Matera.
- Castelli, M (2007), Esperienze internazionali di valutazione della qualità in sanità il caso statunitense dei National Healthcare Quality e Disparities Report 2006. Spunti d'interesse per il sistema sanitario italiano, 2007, AIES (Italian Health Economics Association) Annual Conference. Florence, Italy., Florence.
- Cicchetti, A, Castelli, M & Morandi, F (2007), Organisational forms for clinical governance in the Italian NHS: preliminary evidences from a national survey, EHMA (European Health Management Association) Annual Conference. Lyon, France., Lyon.
- Ablett-Spence, I, Castelli, M & Rubin, G (2015). Evaluation of the NHS Tees Chronic Obstructive Disease Screening Initiative.
- Castelli, M, Rubin, G & Brown, S (2013). Rapid review of new models of primary care.
Available for media contact about:
- Public policy, health and well-being: Healthcare systems analysis and comparison, healthcare policy reforms, performance evaluation and quality improvement in healthcare and healthcare services evaluation