Dr. Andrew Joyce-Gibbons
(email at email@example.com)
My research interests and teaching experience converge on the role of the teacher in learning processes, particularly when using digital technology. I seek to make a positive difference to the equality of opportunities and the excellence of outcomes experienced by learners. Within the classroom setting, I study the role of the teacher in supporting collaborative interaction. Whilst my main focus has been in studies on the primary age range, I have also published on learning in the Secondary school and HE contexts. My current research focuses on developing simultaneous, non-collocated collaborative activities for primary school children engaging in History and Mathematics tasks. I also have an interest in school improvement and technology adoption in education contexts outside the UK (Sierra Leone and Tanzania).
In 2005 I qualified as a teacher and in 2017 I was awarded the Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy in recognition of my role in leading change in teacher education courses; and for reforming our student admission processes to encourage greater inclusivity, particularly for local and economically marginalised applicants.
I was an Assistant Professor in the School of Education until December 2018 at which point I moved to Lima, Peru. I continue to maintain collaborative research links with the School of Education.
International Society of the Learning Sciences (Membership Committee)
School of Education
Indicators of Esteem
- 2015: Wolfson Research Colloquium paper:
“Developing peer tutoring via text message to reduce the challenge of transition from primary to secondary school in Tanzania”
- 2014: Scholarship: Early Career Researcher Workshop Scholarship: International Conference of the Learning Sciences 2014, University of Boulder, Colorado USA (to be held in June, 2014)
- Observe, interact and act:
Teachers’ initiation of mini-plenaries to support small-group collaboration & SynergyNet Review. Presented at Cardiff Metropolitan University, 16th April, 2016
- Presentations 2008-2011:
May 2011: Multi-touch tables in the Early Years classroom. Presented at Scottish Universities Insight Institute, Digital Childhoods Learning Open Day. University of Stirling
September 2010: Gender and leadership among groups of 10 and 11 year old students solving problems in a multi-touch environment. Poster at PREDIL: Promoting Equality in Digital Literacy. Spišská Kapitula, Slovakia
June 2009: SynergyNet: Integrated Classroom. Presented at TEL Programme Early Career Researchers and PhD students Event
October 2008: How successful are Year 6 students in Numeracy and Literacy tests when using PDAs in comparison to using paper and pen? Short Presentation at MLearn 2008
Chapter in book
- Joyce-Gibbons, A. (2017). Writing in History. In Inviting Writing: Teaching and Learning Writing Across the Primary Curriculum. Bushnell, A. & Waugh, D. Learning Matters.
- Mercier, E., Fong, C., Cober, R., Slotta, J.D., Forssell, K.S., Isreal, M., Joyce-Gibbons, A. & Rummel, N. (2015), Researching and Designing for the Orchestration of Learning in the CSCL Classroom, in Lindwall, O. Häkkinen, P., Koschman, T. Tchounikine, P. & Ludvigsen, S. eds, 2: Exploring the Material Conditions of Learning: The Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL) Conference 2015. Gothenburg, Sweden, International Society of the Learning Sciences (ISLS), Gothenburg, 599-606.
- Mercier, E., Higgins, S.E., Burd, E.L. & Joyce-Gibbons, A. (2012), Multi-Touch Technology to Support Multiple Levels of Collaborative Learning in the Classroom, in van Aalst, J., Thompson, K., Jacobson, M.J. & Reimann, P. eds, Short Papers, Symposia and Abstracts 2: The Future of Learning: 10th International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS 2012).
- Hatch, A., Higgins, S.E., Joyce-Gibbons, A. & Mercier, E. (2011), NumberNet: Using Multi-tough Technology to Support Within and Between Group Mathematics Learning, in Spada, H., Stahl, G., Miyake, N. & Law, N. eds, 1: Connecting CSCL to Policy and Practice: CSCL2011. 176-183.
- Beauchamp, Gary, Joyce-Gibbons, Andrew, McNaughton, James, Young, Nick & Crick, Tom (2019). Exploring synchronous, remote collaborative interaction between learners using multi-touch tables and video conferencing in UK primary schools. British Journal of Educational Technology 50(6): 3214-3232.
- Mason, M., Galloway, D. & Joyce-Gibbons, A. (2018). Closing the attainment gap: Collaboration between schools in Sierra Leone. Educational and Child Psychology 35(1): 27-39.
- Joyce-Gibbons, A., Galloway, D., Mollel, A., Mgoma, S., Pima, M. & Deogratias, E. (2018). Mobile phone use in two secondary schools in Tanzania. Education and Information Technologies 23(1): 73-92.
- Joyce-Gibbons, A., Galloway, D., Mollel, A., Mgoma, S., Pima, M. & Deogratias, E. (2018). Successful transition to secondary school in Tanzania: What are the barriers?. Journal of International Development 30(7): 1142-1165.
- McNaughton, J., Crick, T., Joyce-Gibbons, A., Beauchamp, G., Young, N. & Tan, E. (2017). Facilitating Collaborative Learning Between Two Primary Schools Using Large Multi-Touch Devices. Journal of Computers in Education Online First.
- Joyce-Gibbons, A. (2017). Observe, interact and act: teachers’ initiation of mini-plenaries to scaffold small-group collaboration. Technology, Pedagogy and Education 26(1): 51-68.
- Mercier, Emma M., Higgins, Steven E. & Joyce-Gibbons, A. (2016). The effects of room design on computer-supported collaborative learning in a multi-touch classroom. Interactive Learning Environments 24(3): 504-522.
- Higgins, S., Mercier, E., Burd, E. & Joyce-Gibbons, A. (2012). Multi-touch tables and collaborative learning. British Journal of Educational Technology 43(6): 1041-1054.
- Tan, E., Loughlin, E. & Joyce-Gibbons, A. (2017), Developing student-led research: Customer, consumer, colleague, collaborator, The 17th Biennial EARLI Conference. Tampere.
- Joyce-Gibbons, A., McNaughton, J., Tan, E., Young, N., Beauchamp, G. & Crick, T. (2017), SynergyNet into schools: Facilitating Remote Inter-Group Collaborative Learning Using Multi-touch Tables, CSCL 2017: The 12th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning: Making a Difference—Prioritizing Equity and Access in CSCL. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 2014: First Steps in Computer Science (£25270.70 from Technology Strategy Board)