Publication detailsCook, C. C. H. (2012). Self-belief: holistic psychiatry in a secular age. Commentary on. Holistic Psychiatry without the whole self. The Psychiatrist 36(3): 101-103
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1758-3209, 1758-3217
- DOI: 10.1192/pb.bp.111.037929
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Charles Taylor provides important philosophical accounts of what it means to be a ‘self’ in a secular age. Psychiatry has not traditionally concerned itself with other than limited accounts of the concept of the self but Taylor’s work sheds a revealing light on the challenges to be met by aspirations to an holistic practice of psychiatry in our secular age.