Publication detailsJames, Simon J. (2008). A Prophet Looking Backwards: H. G. Wells's Curriculum for the Future. English 57(218): 107-124.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0013-8215, 1756-1124
- DOI: 10.1093/english/efn010
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
H. G. Wells was a literary writer very closely involved in education. From his early career as a teacher and his first writings onward, his work always attempts to instruct. This article considers Wells's involvement with the teaching of history. Novels such as Joan and Peter discuss the ideas which led to Wells's writing The Outline of History, which Wells hoped would found a World State and end war between nations.