Publication detailsLai, Karen P.Y. & Samers, Michael (2020). Towards an economic geography of FinTech. Progress in Human Geography
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0309-1325, 1477-0288
- DOI: 10.1177/0309132520938461
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
n this paper, we identify the ways in which the existing literature has examined financial technology (FinTech). Using the frame of the ‘FinTech Cube’, we examine how FinTech unfolds through the intersections of key actors, technologies and institutions. We demonstrate the relevance of FinTech for two areas of geographical enquiry: i) the reshaping of global production and financial networks, and ii) financial inclusion and poverty reduction in poorer countries. In doing so, we accord particular attention to the significance of FinTech for theoretical and empirical research in economic geography.