Publication details for Professor Cheryl McEwanPollard, J.S., McEwan, C., Laurie, N. & Stenning, A. (2009). Economic Geography Under Postcolonial Scrutiny. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 34(2): 137-142.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0020-2754, 1475-5661.
- DOI: 10.1111/j.1475-5661.2009.00336.x
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Because the economy is not found as an empirical object among other worldly things, in order for it to be 'seen' by the human perceptual apparatus it has to undergo a process, crucial for science, of representational mapping. This is doubling, but with a difference; the map shifts the point of view so that viewers can see the whole as if from the outside, in a way that allows them, from a specific position inside, to find their bearings. (Buck-Morss 1995, 440).