Publication details for Professor Cheryl McEwanMcEwan, C., Hughes, A., Bek, D. & Rosenberg, Z. (2017). Why ‘place’ matters in the development and impacts of Fairtrade production. In Fairtrade Impacts: Lessons from Around the World. Nelson, V. Rugby: Practical Action Publishing. 29-44.
- Publication type: Chapter in book
- ISSN/ISBN: 9781853399060 (hardback), 9781853399077 (paperback), 9781780449074 (ebook), 9781780449067 (library PDF)
- DOI: 10.3362/9781780449067.003
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This chapter examines the importance of place for the cultural and environmental dynamics shaping Fairtrade cooperatives. It draws on a case study of the Eksteenskuil Agricultural Cooperative (EAC) in South Africa’s Northern Cape, which supplies Fairtrade raisins to Traidcraft plc, one of the UK’s leading Fairtrade organizations. It examines how the histories and geographies of place continually challenge and redefine the meaning and effectiveness of Fairtrade. It concludes with a number of recommendations for both Fairtrade organizations in general and EAC/Traidcraft specifically.