Publication details for Professor Harriet BulkeleyBulkeley, H., Castan Broto, V. & Edwards, G. (2012). Bringing climate change to the city: towards low carbon urbanism? Local Environment 17(5): 545-551.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1354-9839 (print), 1469-6711 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1080/13549839.2012.681464
- Keywords: Low carbon transition, Climate change, Cities, Governance.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
In this paper, we reflect on the role of cities in responding to climate change over the two
decades since the historic agreement of the United Nations Framework Convention on
Climate Change. We find a growth in the scale and nature of municipal responses to
climate change that has been one of the most significant features of the changing
climate governance landscape over the past two decades. We suggest that this has not
been a static or uniform process, and reflect on the changing nature of urban
responses to climate change over the past two decades, the emergence of new politics
of low-carbon urbanism, and challenges that lie ahead for research and policy as this
agenda begins to take shape on the ground.