Publication details for Paul SutcliffeBattye, R.A, Manton, N.S. & Sutcliffe, P.M. (2007). Skyrmions and the alpha-particle model of nuclei. Proceedings of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 463(2077): 261-279.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1364-5021, 1471-2946
- DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2006.1767
- Keywords: Skyrmions; nuclei; alpha-particles
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We compute new solutions of the Skyrme model with massive pions. Concentrating on baryon numbers which are multiples of four, we find low-energy Skyrmion solutions that are composed of charge four subunits, as in the alpha-particle model of nuclei. We summarize our current understanding of these solutions, and discuss their relationship to configurations in the alpha-particle model.