Publication details for Paul SutcliffeSutcliffe, Paul (2018). Hopfions in chiral magnets. Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical 51(37): 375401.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1751-8113, 1751-8121
- DOI: 10.1088/1751-8121/aad521
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
A magnetic Hopfion is a three-dimensional topological soliton that consists of a closed loop of a twisted magnetic Skyrmion string. The results of numerical simulations are presented that demonstrate the existence of a stable Hopfion in a nanocylinder of a chiral magnet and an explicit analytic expression is shown to provide a reasonable approximation to the numerically computed Hopfion. A mechanism is suggested to create the Hopfion from a target Skyrmion by introducing an interfacial perpendicular magnetic anisotropy.