Publication details for Paul SutcliffeMaucher, Fabian & Sutcliffe, Paul (2018). Rings on strings in excitable media. Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical 51(5): 055102.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1751-8113 (print), 1751-8121 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1088/1751-8121/aaa1ba
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We study the dynamics and interaction of coaxial vortex rings in the FitzHugh–Nagumo excitable medium. We find that threading vortex rings with a vortex string results in significant qualitative differences in their evolution and interaction. In particular, threading prevents the annihilation of rings in a head-on collision, allows generic ring overtaking, and can even reverse the direction of motion of a ring. We identify that an important mechanism for producing this new behaviour is that threaded vortex rings interact indirectly via induced twisting of the threading vortex string.