Publication details for Paul SutcliffeMaucher, F. & Sutcliffe, P.M. (2016). Untangling knots via reaction-diffusion dynamics of vortex strings. Physical Review Letters 116(17): 178101.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0031-9007 (print), 1079-7114 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.178101
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We introduce and illustrate a new approach to the unknotting problem via the dynamics of vortex strings in a nonlinear partial differential equation of reaction-diffusion type. To untangle a given knot, a Biot-Savart construction is used to initialize the knot as a vortex string in the FitzHugh-Nagumo equation. Remarkably, we find that the subsequent evolution preserves the topology of the knot and can untangle an unknot into a circle. Illustrative test case examples are presented, including the untangling of a hard unknot known as the culprit. Our approach to the unknotting problem has two novel features, in that it applies field theory rather than particle mechanics and uses reaction-diffusion dynamics in place of energy minimization.