Publication details for Professor Ashraf OsmanOsman, Ashraf S. (2019). Upper bound solutions for the shape factors of smooth rectangular footings on frictional materials. Computers and Geotechnics 115: 103177.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0266-352X (print)
- DOI: 10.1016/j.compgeo.2019.103177
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Limit analysis of smooth square and rectangular footings is presented in this paper. Three dimensions multi-block collapse mechanism with kinematically admissible velocity field is developed. The rigid blocks in this mechanism are truncated by conical surfaces. Rigorous upper bound solutions for the bearing capacity of the footings in frictional soils are obtained by assuming the normality rule. The numerical results of the shape factors are presented in the form of design charts for practical use in geotechnical engineering.