Publication details for Prof. Jan R.R. VerletZagorec-Marks, Wyatt, Foreman, Madison M., Verlet, Jan R. R. & Weber, J. Mathias (2019). Cryogenic Ion Spectroscopy of the Green Fluorescent Protein Chromophore in Vacuo. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 10(24): 7817-7822.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1948-7185 (print), 1948-7185 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpclett.9b02916
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We present the spectrum of the S1 S0 transition of an anionic model for the
chromophore of the green fluorescent protein in vacuo at cryogenic temperatures, showing
previously unresolved vibrational features, and resolving the band origin at 20930 cm-1 (477.8 nm)
with unprecedented accuracy. The vibrational spectrum establishes that the molecule is in the Z
isomer at low temperature. At increased temperature, the S1 S0 band shifts to the red, which we
tentatively attribute to emergent population of the E isomer.