Publication details for Professor Sarah DaviesDavies, S.R. (2013). The Soft Power of Anglia: British Cold War Cultural Diplomacy in the USSR. Contemporary British History 27(3): 297-323.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1361-9462, 1743-7997
- DOI: 10.1080/13619462.2013.794695
- Keywords: Britain, Soviet Union, Cold War, Propaganda, Cultural Diplomacy, Soft Power.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This article contributes to the growing literature on the cultural Cold War through an exploration of the British national projection magazine Anglia, produced by the Foreign Office for distribution in the USSR from 1962 to 1992. As well as drawing attention to the significance of national magazines in general, the article sheds light on Britain's distinctive approach to propaganda and cultural diplomacy during the Cold War. It considers why the magazine was set up and endured for so long, despite considerable reservations about its value. It examines how Britain was projected in a manner that accorded with British understandings about the need for ‘subtle’ propaganda. Finally, it addresses the question of the magazine's impact in the USSR.