Publication details for Professor Sarah DaviesDavies, Sarah (2018). From Iron Curtain to velvet curtain? Peter Brook’s Hamlet and the origins of British-Soviet cultural relations during the Cold War. Contemporary European History 27(4): 601-626.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0960-7773, 1469-2171
- DOI: 10.1017/s0960777318000395
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The article assesses the significance of the Moscow tour of Peter Brook's Hamlet. It considers how far the tour succeeded in overcoming the symbolic iron curtain by examining what Hamlet meant for contemporaries on both sides of the political divide. It argues that the Hamlet tour served at once to perpetuate and undermine the divisions between East and West, confirming Iriye's observation that on one level the Cold War intensified antagonism between states, while on another it helped to foster the growth of internationalist sentiment.