Publication details for Dr Kathryn BanksBanks, Kathryn & Harris, Joseph (2004). Exposure: Revealing Bodies, Unveiling Representations. Modern French Identities, v. 29. Oxford New York: Peter Lang.
- Publication type: Edited book
- ISSN/ISBN: 3039101633, 9783039101634
- Keywords: Critical theory, Visual art, Film, Montaigne Essais, Didier Anzieu, Claude Cahun, Marie Nimier La Nouvelle Pornographie.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The notion of «exposure» underlies much modern thinking about identity, representation, ethics, desire and sexuality. This provocative notion is explored in a collection of essays selected from, and inspired by, the proceedings of a conference held in the Department of French at the University of Cambridge in 2002. The authors engage with exposure as both object and mode of representation in a range of cultural media: literature, critical theory, visual art and film. They analyse a variety of works from the medieval, early-modern, and modern periods, examining not only canonical texts such as Montaigne's Essais but also lesser-studied works such as the psychoanalytic theory of Didier Anzieu, the photomontage self-portraits of Claude Cahun, and the novel La Nouvelle Pornographie by Marie Nimier. This volume thus both illustrates and, more importantly, interrogates the richness of the term «exposure», in a way that is stimulating for students and researchers alike.