Publication details for Dr Anurag Narayan BanerjeeBanerjee, A., Nilbanik, N. & Mukhopadhyay, J. (2015). The Dynamics of Income Growth and Poverty: Evidence from Districts in India. Development Policy Review 33(3): 293-312.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0950-6764, 1467-7679
- DOI: 10.1111/dpr.12110
- Keywords: Districts of India, Income, Poverty, Twin peaks.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This article examines the dynamics of the income-distribution pattern in India during the post-1991 economic reforms. It considers district-level per-capita income data across agriculture, manufacturing, services, and various constituent sub-sectors, and finds evidence in favour of a uniform process of growth across sectors and regions, which has helped to reduce poverty. In particular, the article finds that growth in agricultural income and access to finance are important for this.