Publication details for Professor Mike ChurchChurch, M J, Arge, S V, Brewington, S, McGovern, T H, Woollett, J, Perdikaris, S, Lawson, I T, Cook, G T, Amundsen, C, Harrison, R, Krivogorskaya, K & Dunbar, E (2005). Puffins, Pigs, Cod, and Barley: Palaeoeconomy at Undir Junkarinsfløtti, Sandoy, Faroe Islands. Environmental Archaeology 10(2): 179-197.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: ISSN 1461-4103, 1749-6314
- Keywords: Faroes, North Atlantic, Landnam, Zooarchaeology, Archaeobotany
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This paper reports on the zooarchaeological and archaeobotanical remains from the initial season of
excavations at the Norse period site at Undir Junkarinsfløtti in the Faroe islands. These remains represent
the first zooarchaeological analysis undertaken for the Faroes and only the third archaeobotanical assemblage published from the islands. The excavated deposits are described and the key findings from the palaeoenvironmental remains highlighted within the context of the wider North Atlantic environmental archaeology of the Norse period.