Publication details for Prof. David ParkerShuvaev, Sergey, Starck, Matthieu & Parker, David (2017). Responsive, Water-Soluble Europium(III) Luminescent Probes. Chemistry - A European Journal 23(42): 9974-9989.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0947-6539 (print), 1521-3765 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1002/chem.201700567
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The design principles, mechanism of action and performance of europium(III) complexes that serve as strongly emissive and responsive molecular probes in water are critically discussed. Examples of systems designed to assess pH, selected metal ions and anions, including chiral species, as well as selected small molecules and biopolymers are considered, and prospects evaluated for improved performance in more complex biological media such as in bio-fluids and within living cells. Modulation of the emission spectral form, lifetime and degree of circular polarisation can be used to quantify the spectral response and permit calibration.