Publication details for Dr Alastair BasdenBasden, A. G. (2014). A real-time simulation facility for astronomical adaptive optics. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 439(3): 2854-2862.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0035-8711 (print), 1365-2966 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1093/mnras/stu143
- Keywords: Instrumentation: adaptive optics, Instrumentation: high angular resolution, Techniques: image processing.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
In this paper we introduce the concept of real-time hardware-in-the-loop simulation for astronomical adaptive optics, and present the case for the requirement for such a facility. This real-time simulation, when linked with an adaptive optics real-time control system, provides an essential tool for the validation, verification and integration of the Extremely Large Telescope real-time control systems prior to commissioning at the telescope. We demonstrate that such a facility is crucial for the success of the future extremely large telescopes.