Publication details for Dr Alastair BasdenBasden, Alastair (2015). Investigation of POWER8 processors for astronomical adaptive optics real-time control. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 452(2): 1694-1701.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0035-8711 (print), 1365-2966 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1093/mnras/stv1396
- Keywords: Instrumentation: adaptive optics, Instrumentation: miscellaneous, Methods: numerical.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The forthcoming Extremely Large Telescopes (ELTs) all require adaptive optics systems for their successful operation. The real-time control for these systems becomes computationally challenging, in part limited by the memory bandwidths required for wavefront reconstruction. We investigate new POWER8 processor technologies applied to the problem of real-time control for adaptive optics. These processors have a large memory bandwidth, and we show that they are suitable for operation of first-light ELT instrumentation, and propose some potential real-time control system designs. A central processing unit (CPU)-based real-time control system significantly reduces complexity, improves maintainability, and leads to increased longevity for the real-time control system.