Publication details for Professor Del AtkinsonAtkinson, D. , Eastwood, D.S. & Bogart, L.K. (2008). Controlling Domain Wall Pinning in Planar Nanowires by Selecting Domain Wall Type and its Application in a Memory Concept. Applied Physics Letters 92(2): 022510.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0003-6951 (print), 1077-3118 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1063/1.2832771
- Keywords: Kerr magneto-optical effect, Magnetic domain walls, Nanowires, Permalloy, Random-access storage.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Here, we report on the control of domain wall pinning at notch features patterned in Permalloy planar nanowires by selecting the micromagnetic configuration of the domain wall using a transverse magnetic field. The domain wall behavior was investigated both experimentally using focused magneto-optic Kerr effect measurements of lithographically patterned nanowires and with micromagnetic simulations. The pinning behavior observed is utilized in a concept for multibit memory cells applicable as the free layer in magnetic random access memory where the domain structure is defined by the location of domain walls that either pin or passby pinning structures depending upon the domain wall configuration selected.