Publication details for Dr Basile CurchodChadwick, Mark, Curchod, Basile F. E., Scopelliti, Rosario, Fadaei Tirani, Farzaneh, Solari, Euro & Severin, Kay (2019). Azo-MICs: Redox-Active Mesoionic Carbene Ligands Derived from Azoimidazolium Dyes. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 58(6): 1764-1767.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1433-7851 (print), 1521-3773
- DOI: 10.1002/anie.201813780
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Azoimidazolium dyes were used as precursors for mesoionic carbene ligands (Azo‐MICs). The properties of these ligands were examined by synthesizing RhI, AuI, and PdII complexes. Experimental (NMR, IR) and theoretical investigations show that Azo‐MICs are potent σ‐donor ligands. Yet, they feature a small singlet‐triplet gap and very low‐lying LUMO levels. The unique electronic properties of Azo‐MICs allow for reversible one‐electron reductions of the metal complexes, as evidenced by cyclic voltammetry.