Publication details for Professor Janet StewartStewart, Janet C. (2013). Filming Vienna 1900: The Poetics of Cinema and the Politics of Ornament in Raúl Ruiz's Klimt. Journal of Austrian Studies 46(2): 49-79.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 2165-669X, 2327-1809
- DOI: 10.1353/oas.2013.0027
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Raúl Ruiz’s 2006 movie Klimt offers a sophisticated attempt to translate the visual art theory of Klimt’s Vienna into cinematic form. Reading this film alongside Ruiz’s reflections on film theory, this article explores how Ruiz employed key ideas from this period about ornament, spatiality and “surface effects,” reproducibility, and optic and haptic visuality in his search for a new cinematic language that might offer an alternative to mainstream cinema and the cinema of the “classical” avant-garde.