Publication details for Dr Halim KusumaatmajaPaillusson, F., Pennington, M. R. & Kusumaatmaja, H. (2016). Phase Separation on Bicontinuous Cubic Membranes: Symmetry Breaking, Re-entrant and Domain Facetting. Physical Review Letters 117(5): 058101.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0031-9007, 1079-7114
- DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.117.058101
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We study the phase separation of binary lipid mixtures that form bicontinuous cubic phases. The competition between the nonuniform Gaussian membrane curvature and line tension leads to a very rich phase diagram, where we observe symmetry breaking of the membrane morphologies and reentrant phenomena due to the formation of bridges between segregated domains. Upon increasing the line tension contribution, we also find faceting of lipid domains that we explain using a simple argument based on the symmetry of the underlying surface and topology.