Publication details for Dr Stefano GianiGiani, Stefano, Schötzau, Dominik & Zhu, Liang (2014). An a-posteriori error estimate for hp-adaptive DG methods for convection–diffusion problems on anisotropically refined meshes. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 67(4): 869-887.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0898-1221 (print)
- DOI: 10.1016/j.camwa.2012.10.015
- Keywords: Discontinuous Galerkin methods, Error estimation, hp-adaptivity, Convection–diffusion problems.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We prove an a-posteriori error estimate for hphp-adaptive discontinuous Galerkin methods for the numerical solution of convection–diffusion equations on anisotropically refined rectangular elements. The estimate yields global upper and lower bounds of the errors measured in terms of a natural norm associated with diffusion and a semi-norm associated with convection. The anisotropy of the underlying meshes is incorporated in the upper bound through an alignment measure. We present a series of numerical experiments to test the feasibility of this approach within a fully automated hphp-adaptive refinement algorithm.