Publication details for Dr Stefano GianiGiani, S. & Hall, E. (2012). An A Posteriori Error Estimator for Hp-Adaptive Discontinuous Galerkin Methods for Elliptic Eigenvalue Problems. Mathematical Models and Methods in Applied Sciences 22(10): 1250030.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0218-2025 (print), 1793-6314 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1142/S0218202512500303
- Keywords: Discontinuous Galerkin methods, Elliptic eigenvalue problems, a posteriori error estimation, hp-adaptivity.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
In this paper we present a residual-based a posteriori error estimator for hp-adaptive discontinuous Galerkin methods for elliptic eigenvalue problems. In particular, we use as a model problem the Laplace eigenvalue problem on bounded domains in ℝd, d = 2, 3, with homogeneous Dirichlet boundary conditions. Analogous error estimators can be easily obtained for more complicated elliptic eigenvalue problems. We prove the reliability and efficiency of the residual-based error estimator also for non-convex domains and use numerical experiments to show that, under an hp-adaptation strategy driven by the error estimator, exponential convergence can be achieved, even for non-smooth eigenfunctions.