Publication details for Dr Stefano GianiGiani, S. & Hall, E. (2013). An a-posteriori error estimate for hp-adaptive DG methods for elliptic eigenvalue problems on anisotropically refined meshes. Computing 95(1 Supplement): S319-S341.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0010-485X (print), 1436-5057 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1007/s00607-012-0261-5
- Keywords: Discontinuous Galerkin methods, Elliptic eigenvalue problems, A posteriori error estimation, hp-adaptivity, Anisotropic mesh refinement.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We prove an a-posteriori error estimate for an \(hp\)-adaptive discontinuous Galerkin method for the numerical solution of elliptic eigenvalue problems with discontinuous coefficients on anisotropically refined rectangular elements. The estimate yields a global upper bound of the errors for both the eigenvalue and the eigenfunction and lower bound of the error for the eigenfunction only. The anisotropy of the underlying meshes is incorporated in the upper bound through an alignment measure. We present a series of numerical experiments to test the flexibility and robustness of this approach within a fully automated \(hp\)-adaptive refinement algorithm.