Publication details for Dr Simon BeaumontBeaumont, Simon K., Alayoglu, Selim, Specht, Colin, Kruse, Norbert & Somorjai, Gabor A. (2014). A nanoscale demonstration of hydrogen atom spillover and surface diffusion across silica using the kinetics of CO2 methanation catalyzed on spatially separate Pt and Co nanoparticles. Nano Letters 14(8): 4792-4796.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1530-6984 (print), 1530-6992 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1021/nl501969k
- Keywords: Hydrogen spillover, Nanoparticles, Catalysis, Surface diffusion, Transport limited, CO2 methanation.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Hydrogen spillover is of great importance to understanding many phenomena in heterogeneous catalysis and has long been controversial. Here we exploit well-defined nanoparticles to demonstrate its occurrence through evaluation of CO2 methanation kinetics. Combining platinum and cobalt nanoparticles causes a substantial increase in reaction rate, but increasing the spatial separation between discrete cobalt and platinum entities results in a dramatic 50% drop in apparent activation energy, symptomatic of H atom surface diffusion limiting the reaction rate.